[comp.sys.ibm.pc] V20 vs. 8088: Is there an

william.richardson@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM RICHARDSON) (08/10/89)

The V20 is an excellent value for the money. For $10-$20 you can get a
7% improvement in speed + 80286 real mode instructions & 8080
compatability for CPM, the V20/30 are CMOS and run alot cooler that the
8088/86 versions from Intel & AMD. A reduced microinstruction code can
mean the difference between BASIC & Assembler. Just the POST increase
in speed for PCs' & XTs' is worth it! Try running a math/graphics
intense program like F19 or FlightSim Side by Side with a standard
8088/86.  I put a V30-8 in my model 30 and now get a norton SI of 4.3
from 1.8 that was standard. Has anyone noticed the new 80287/80387 from
Witec? They claim 200% increase with the same clock rate on the 80287.
Fun note:  most ATs' run their Co-Processer at 2/3 the system speed!
That can be fixed though, I'm running mine & 16Mhz on a 12Mhz AT !
---
 ~ EZ-Reader 1.20 ~  -ex

 * QNet 1.03a3: CanConfMail: . HQBBS / ~ Toronto ~ Canada ~ 416y566y1765

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (08/12/89)

In article <89080907301922@masnet.uucp>, william.richardson@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM RICHARDSON) writes:
> . . .  Has anyone noticed the new 80287/80387 from
> Witec? They claim 200% increase with the same clock rate on the 80287.

I don't know about such from Weitek, but a startup company (the founders are
from Weitek, if I remember my rumors correctly) called IIT has started makeing
287 and 387 clones.  I got one!  And it is fast -- one funny, though, is that

> Fun note:  most ATs' run their Co-Processer at 2/3 the system speed!
> That can be fixed though, I'm running mine & 16Mhz on a 12Mhz AT !

As you mentioned, a signal can be used to divide the incoming clock (usually
twice the CPU clock or equal to the CPU clock) by 3 before using it in the
287 -- the IIT chip divides the clock by 2 rather than by 3, so you get an
additional speedup if the box runs with the divide-by-3 enabled.

I wrote a benchmark suite (that includes one demo written by IIT programmers
and it indicates you can get anywhere from a few percent improvement to
about 4x depending on the type of code (if you load the FPU and bang away --
like my fractal demo -- it runs away with you, but if you just do the usual
plodding C code -- load, add, store sequences -- then you'll get something
more like a 10 or 20% improvement over a similar speed 287).  Most programs
are somewhere in between.

> ---
>  ~ EZ-Reader 1.20 ~  -ex
>
>  * QNet 1.03a3: CanConfMail: . HQBBS / ~ Toronto ~ Canada ~ 416y566y1765

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us