[comp.sys.ibm.pc] formatting DS/DD to 720K

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) (08/11/89)

I've seend many references to the fact that you
can format a DS/DD 5 1/2" floppy to 720K instead
of the normal 360K. Can someone explain how
one can set up their machine to do this. I
assume that one must have a high density drive.
Any comment on reliability and portability?

thanks

--
Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON) (08/11/89)

In article <35129@ccicpg.UUCP>, swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:
> I've seend many references to the fact that you
> can format a DS/DD 5 1/2" floppy to 720K instead
> of the normal 360K. Can someone explain how
> one can set up their machine to do this. I
> assume that one must have a high density drive.
> Any comment on reliability and portability?
I use a program called FDFORMAT 1.20. It can format DD floppies to
835K on a high density drive using 10 sectors instead 9 sectors. 82 tracks
i realible on many High Density drives.

FDFORMAT also formats 18 sectors at HD floppies to 1.44Mb or 1.5Mbyte.

But fdformat needs a small program called FDREAD.COM on some machines with
some bioses. But FDREAD.COM don't work well in my AT so i must run Alan Jones'
800K.COM resident in my machine to get FDFORMAT to work.

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) (08/13/89)

In article <35129@ccicpg.UUCP> swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:
>I've seend many references to the fact that you
>can format a DS/DD 5 1/2" floppy to 720K instead
>of the normal 360K. Can someone explain how
>one can set up their machine to do this. I
>assume that one must have a high density drive.
>Any comment on reliability and portability?

Check out your local BBS for a program called CONFMT.  This is an excellent
shareware program.  It allows you to format standard DSDD diskettes to 720K.
It works like a champ on many machines.  There are some machines with
brain dead BIOSs that will not recognize the disk after it is formatted.
Fortuanately, mine does not have that problem.  I have formatted  hundreds
of 5 1/4" disks to 720K with no problems.  I use CHEAP (25 cent) disks.  The
few that have bad sectors have also shown the same problem when formatted to
360K.

BTW, CONFMT is a TSR program.  You can pop it up anytime and format disks
in the background!  I find this to be very handy.  Who likes to sit and
twiddle your thumbs while waiting for a disk to format!  With CONFMT, I
can make productive use of my time.  I can edit or whatever while the
disks are formatting.  I just change disks when prompted by the pop up
window.  It supports all the standard DOS formats + a couple of non-std
such as the 720K 5 1/4".  If you can't find it locally, email me & I'll
try to send to on the net.

Bob Bailey