[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lost cursor on a Paradise VGA plus 16

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (08/13/89)

I recently upgraded my display system from EGA to VGA with the addition
of a Paradise VGA plus 16, but in doing so, my cursor has disapeared.  I have
tried using the bios to create a block cursor to see if that would help, but
no dice, I still couldn't see where I was.  This is a real pain in the
neck when using an editor.

Has anybody else had a similar problem??

Background: The board passes all diagnostics and otherwise works fine.  The
base system is a DELL 286 purchased about 1 year ago (and it had an option
for a vga, so the bios should have no problem with a vga) running
MS-DOS 3.3.  I have RTFM and found nothing that seems to apply to this.
The original display system works fine.

Thanks for any help

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/14/89)

In article <1008@virtech.UUCP>, cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> I recently upgraded my display system from EGA to VGA with the addition
> of a Paradise VGA plus 16, but in doing so, my cursor has disapeared.  I have
> tried using the bios to create a block cursor to see if that would help, but
> no dice, I still couldn't see where I was.  This is a real pain in the
> neck when using an editor.
>
> Has anybody else had a similar problem??

  Yes, I did, but not with the Paradise VGA board.  I had the same problem
with an EVEREX EVGA (EV-673) board.  I tried it on a 20MHz NEAT 286 system.
It did show the cursor.  I tested it and found out only 2 out of 8 text
display pages worked.  I also used Norton Utility (SI) to see what was
going on,  and I found a duplicate BIOS extension on C200 (which is a
duplicate of what was on C000).  When I installed this board in a different
286 machine (12 MHz, 16MHz etc.) , the C200 extension disappeared.

  I did not have time to look into it, so I called both EVEREX and the
distributor of the NEAT 286 board.  They blamed each other, of course, so
I finally installed the EV-673 in a different machine.

> Background: The board passes all diagnostics and otherwise works fine.  The
> base system is a DELL 286 purchased about 1 year ago (and it had an option
> for a vga, so the bios should have no problem with a vga) running
> MS-DOS 3.3.  I have RTFM and found nothing that seems to apply to this.
> The original display system works fine.

  You can try your board on a different unit if possible.  There must be
some kind of compatibility problem, and it always is customer's fault
isn't it? :-)

Qiwu Liu
U of KS
--- a very unsatified customer