[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BASIC compilers

tmy6405@acf5.NYU.EDU (Ted Young) (07/21/89)

In article <576@ac.dal.ca> burkhold@ac.dal.ca writes:

>	Does anyone have any comments on the advantages of using Microsoft's
>BASIC compiler Version 6 over using the QuickBASIC 4.x family of compilers?
>A brief list of pros and cons would be appreciated.  Thanks.

If you want to do anything in OS/2, BASCOM 6.00 is your only choice.
Other than that, here's some pros/con:

PRO:  BC6 comes with a bunch of NOxxx.OBJ files which, when linked with
	your program reduce the size of the final .EXE.  For example,
	if you know that you're not gonna do any graphics, LINK in the
	NOGRAPH.OBJ file and you'll cut out some unnecessary code.

      You can make your own BRUN.EXE runtime files, so that if you use
	some routines across a number of EXE files, you can save
	space by not having to link it with each file.

      The manuals are a lot better, and come in a 3 ring binder.

      You also get Codeview and Microsoft's M editor (well, M could be
	a con -- I sure don't use it).

      If you don't have a math co-processor (or are writing a program
	for machines that don't have one), you get a faster math
	package with BC6.  It's 40-50% faster than QB4, but not as fast
	as QB2&3 (can't have everything, I guess).

CON:  It's more expensive.  (That's all I could think of.)

Basically (sorry), if you're going to be doing anything serious with
BASIC, then get BASCOM 6, otherwise it may not be worth the extra $$$.

---
Ted M. Young, 3801 Hudson Mnr Terr, Riverdale, NY 10463-1111
tmy6405@acf5.nyu.edu	CIS: [76703,4343] or 76703.4343@compuserve.com
"Experience is the hardest teacher; first you get the test, then the lesson."

burkhold@ac.dal.ca (08/15/89)