[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP: WordPerfect text display with EGA/VGA cards

franke@rwthinf.UUCP (Christian Franke) (07/18/89)

We are using WordPerfect Version 5.0 (US) on an AT-compatible with
an ATI EGA Wonder Card (256Kb Ram) connected to a NEC Multisync II.

According to the WP Reference Manual (Page 78), it is possible
to optionally display e.g. italic characters in WP's normal text
(editing) mode when using EGA or VGA cards.
Therefore, the softfont files EGA*.FRS distributed with WP are
necessary.

Unfortunately, the WP Setup Menu "Colors/Fonts/Attributes" (Shift-F1 "dc")
does not present the proper menus to enable this feature.

When using the ATI VIP Card (256Kb Ram), the menus are presented
but the characters are not displayed properly.
It looks like transmission line noise.

The graphic display (WP's preview feature) is ok with both cards.

Our questions:

1) What are the requirements for an EGA/VGA card to be used with
   this WP feature?

2) With which EGA/VGA cards does this WP feature really work?

WordPerfect GmbH Germany could not give us any sufficient information.
(It seems that they don't know anything about this feature at all :-)).
They haven't e-mail, and mentioned that they are not allowed
to give the e-mail address of WPCorp. USA to us.

Perhaps someone (at WPCorp. :-)) can help us.

Thanks in advance

	Christian Franke

	Aachen University of Technology
	Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik I
	Ahornstrasse 55
	D-5100 Aachen
	Federal Republic of Germany
	Tel.: 0241 / 80-3586

	UUCP: franke@rwthinf.uucp ({...mcvax}!unido!rwthinf!franke)

JIM@AUVM.BITNET (Jim McIntosh) (07/20/89)

WordPerfect Corp's E-Mail address is:   WPCorp@BYUVAX.BITNET

cetron@wasatch.utah.edu (Edward J Cetron) (07/26/89)

In article <1134@rwthinf.UUCP> franke@rwthinf.UUCP (Christian Franke) writes:

>We are using WordPerfect Version 5.0 (US) on an AT-compatible with
>an ATI EGA Wonder Card (256Kb Ram) connected to a NEC Multisync II.

	I have a Wyse 286 clone with an ATI EGA wonder and a NEC Multisync
II.  If I type "shift-f1" I get the setup screen, then d for display, then
I check 5 to make sure the display is either "Multisync 800x600" or "IBM EGA
something". then back to c for colors/attri/ etc. Then typing "2" gives me
italics mode.  If I then type "1" I will get the colors display with the
italics showing up as Italics.  Should work just fine.

-ed

jbarry@mipos2.intel.com (Judy Barry~) (08/16/89)

>(Christian Franke) writes:
>We are using WordPerfect Version 5.0 (US) on an AT-compatible with
>an ATI EGA Wonder Card (256Kb Ram) connected to a NEC Multisync II.

>Unfortunately, the WP Setup Menu "Colors/Fonts/Attributes" (Shift-F1 "dc")
>does not present the proper menus to enable this feature.

>...but the characters are not displayed properly.
>It looks like transmission line noise.

I use an IBM A/T with a VGA card and EGA monitor, and have not had any
problems.  I have discovered that if you are going to display italics,
you can only use half of the colors available to you normally.
(Remember, you need not *display* italics in order to *print* italics.)

First - Before you select "Colors/Fonts/Attributes," make sure you have
chosen the appropriate "Graphics Screen Type" (Shift-F1 DG), then go
into "Colors."  "Graphics..." selects which type of card you are using
for your monitor.  If your card is not listed specifically, you might
try the "auto-select" feature and let WordPerfect figure it out.

I suspect this will take care of your problem.  If not, . . .

The nearest WordPerfect distributor would be:
	    Word Perfect Software GmbH
	    Frankfurter Strasse 33-35
	    6236 Eschborn
	    West Germany
	    Telephone:  (0 61 96) 48 17 22
	    Telex:  4072602 wpg d
	    Fax:  (0 61 96) 4 60 03

There is also an "International Division" at WordPerfect Corporation
	    WordPerfect Corporation
	    International Division
	    1555 North Technology Way
	    Orem,  UT  84057
	    USA

Good luck.

-- judy barry

P.S.  I have been told that you pay for your Email in Germany.  Is that
true?
   Intel Corporation
   Santa Clara, California         Phone:    (408) 765-5577