[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm HELP!

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (07/17/89)

Recently, someone posted a request for help concerning procomm not being
able to find the dialing directory.  I have just started to experience
the same difficulty.  Whoever you were, do you know how to fix it?

The problem is that procomm v. 2.4.3 can't find the dialing directory
or run command.com when I try to use the DOS gateway.  I recently
deleted some lines from my autoexec.bat and don't remember what I
had changed.  I'm not sure if that is the problem, but procomm has
always worked fine for me (6 months) until today.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg Cook
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu    cook@frith.egr.msu.edu

acm9@fig.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (07/17/89)

I have another problem with Procomm.  I am using Procomm Plus 1.1, and
sometimes in the middle of a session it will freeze up on me.  Then I
have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL and re-run procomm to get back to whatever
system I was using.  I used to have this problem with Procomm 2.4, and
I got a patch that fixed it.  Now I'm having the same problem with
Procomm Plus.  Any ideas?

Mike O'Brien
acm9@cornu.ucsb.edu

kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard) (07/17/89)

In article <3816@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
* The problem is that procomm v. 2.4.3 can't find the dialing directory
* or run command.com when I try to use the DOS gateway.  I recently
* deleted some lines from my autoexec.bat and don't remember what I
And you didn't keep a copy of your old autoexec.bat!  Shame on you!
Sounds like you clobbered one or severa of...
--SET PROCOMM=<procomm's own dir where it keeps dialingdirectoryfile,etc.>
--SET COMSPEC=<place to look for command.com>
Try putting these back in place.
-----
Ken

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/18/89)

In article <3816@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>Recently, someone posted a request for help concerning procomm not being
>able to find the dialing directory.  I have just started to experience
>the same difficulty.  Whoever you were, do you know how to fix it?
>
>The problem is that procomm v. 2.4.3 can't find the dialing directory
>or run command.com when I try to use the DOS gateway.  I recently
>deleted some lines from my autoexec.bat and don't remember what I
>had changed.  I'm not sure if that is the problem, but procomm has
>always worked fine for me (6 months) until today.

1) Procomm 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 tend to become corrupted under certain
undefinable circumstances.  I suggest that you set up a *completely*
fresh copy from you originals.

2) See /pc/ts/tspfon29.arc for more about it and other Procomm
problems. The said file is available by anonymous ftp from
University of Vaasa, Finland, site 128.214.12.3, and should also be
coming out in comp.binaries.ibm.pc in due time.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (07/18/89)

From article <646@chyde.uwasa.fi>, by ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK):
>>The problem is that procomm v. 2.4.3 can't find the dialing directory
>>or run command.com when I try to use the DOS gateway.  I recently
>>deleted some lines from my autoexec.bat and don't remember what I
>>had changed.  I'm not sure if that is the problem, but procomm has
>>always worked fine for me (6 months) until today.
>
> 1) Procomm 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 tend to become corrupted under certain
> undefinable circumstances.  I suggest that you set up a *completely*
> fresh copy from you originals.

I tried that already and it did not work.  I had found the problem.
If you are curious, please see me previous posting:

 Redirect > nul affects procomm, why?

Greg Cook
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu
cook@frith.egr.msu.edu

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/19/89)

In article <3829@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>> 1) Procomm 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 tend to become corrupted under certain
>> undefinable circumstances.  I suggest that you set up a *completely*
>> fresh copy from you originals.
>
>I tried that already and it did not work.  I had found the problem.
>If you are curious, please see me previous posting:
>
> Redirect > nul affects procomm, why?

You ran out of file handles, right?

schaut@madnix.UUCP (Rick Schaut) (07/19/89)

In article <3816@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>The problem is that procomm v. 2.4.3 can't find the dialing directory
>or run command.com when I try to use the DOS gateway.  I recently
>deleted some lines from my autoexec.bat and don't remember what I
>had changed.  I'm not sure if that is the problem, but procomm has
>always worked fine for me (6 months) until today.

You probably deleted a line that said something like:

set PROCOMM=[the directory where Procomm's files are located].

If you re-insert the line with the appropriate directory (minus the
'[' and ']'), Procomm should be able to find it's files.  Remember,
that the path to Procomm's files must end with a '\' character.

--
   Richard Schaut     Madison, WI              Madison: an alternative
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu                      to reality.

schaut@madnix.UUCP (Rick Schaut) (07/21/89)

In article <2073@hub.UUCP> acm9@fig.UUCP (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>I have another problem with Procomm.  I am using Procomm Plus 1.1, and
>sometimes in the middle of a session it will freeze up on me.

I recently downloaded a slew of patches from Datastorm's BBS.  However
a patch for that problem wasn't in what I downloaded.  Have you
contacted Datastorm?  In the mean time, the problem could be that
you have a strange video card (I don't know your system, so I'm just
guessing), so try running Procomm with the /B option.  That causes
Procomm to perform all video writes using the bios instead of
writing directly to video RAM.

--
   Richard Schaut     Madison, WI              Madison: an alternative
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu                      to reality.
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

jeff@cdp.UUCP (08/16/89)

Using "> nul" in autoexec files redirects output to the "NUL" device,
which is a nonexistent device that serves to consume all output.

However, when output from a memory resident program ("TSR") is
redirected, the TSR continues to run "in the background", and keeps
the file descriptor open.  For each TSR whose output is redirected,
there is one less file descriptor that is available to applications
program like Procomm.

The problems you saw with Procomm were a result of Procomm running
out of file descriptors.

To get around this problem, you might be able to increase the maximum
number of open file descriptors.  Check the value of FILES= in your
config.sys file.  If it is less than 20, then set it to 20 (without
extra work, 20 is about as high as you can go).  And of course, you
can always remove the "> nul" from your autoexec file.

        Jeff Dean
        uunet!pyramid!cdp!jeff
        hplabs!cdp!jeff