[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386MAX and Windows 2.1

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (08/11/89)

	Those of you who have those inexpensive 386 clones that have
"wasted" shadow RAM (RAM above the 640K mark that could otherwise be
used) should consider using 386 to the Max instead of QEMM.  386MAX
I just found out can reclaim some of that memory (about 210K on my system).
I'm now using it with Windows 2.1 to good effect.  386MAX now supports
VCPI (DOS Extender interface) and XMS (eliminating the need for HIMEM.SYS).
It works with Desqview 2.2, though they recommend running QEXT.SYS with
it (it is not as compatible with Desqview 2.2 as QEMM.SYS is, obviously).
The Professional version ($115 street) also supports loading device
drivers and TSRs above the 640K line (the regular version only supports

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (08/12/89)

	I was asked to post my hardware/BIOS config.  I have AMI BIOS
with C&T NEAT Chipset, but the docs claim that it works with almost any
C&T system and a variety of other clones, as well as Micronics and Trillian
(and AST, AT&T, Compaq, Dell, HP, and NEC).  Seems like pretty much any
machine which does not do the 384K extended memory relocation.

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/16/89)

In article <13090@well.UUCP>, mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) writes:
> 	Those of you who have those inexpensive 386 clones that have
> "wasted" shadow RAM (RAM above the 640K mark that could otherwise be
> used) should consider using 386 to the Max instead of QEMM.  386MAX
> I just found out can reclaim some of that memory (about 210K on my system).

 Same with the new AMI bios where one can remap the memory using the
advanced setup features and save the settings in CMOS.

--
Larry Snyder                          uucp: iuxax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern STAR XBBS/Usenet Site    219-287-9020 (VHST) - 219-289-3745 (PEP+)