[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modems and call waiting

wagnere@gtephx.UUCP (Eric Wagner) (08/05/89)

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I have a big
problem using my modem given that my home phone line has the
call waiting service.  Yes, I know, when I CALL OUT, I can dial
the *70 code to temporarily disable the call waiting.  But, when
I'm using our company's computer system, which has dial-back
modems, the computer system ends up CALLING ME.  Yes, I know,
if you have 3-way calling (which I do), you can hookflash during
the call, do the *70, and flash back again, but this would cause
the remote computer system to think that the call was dropped
due to a carrier loss.  Does anybody know of any software/hardware
solutions to the problem?

Thank you.
--
-----------------------------
Eric Wagner (wagnere@gtephx)

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (08/08/89)

I would like a true fix to this problem also.

A workaround that I have tried with limited success is to program my
Hayes Smartmodem 2400 S10 register (Lost carrier to hang-up delay) to
be fairly long.  (The time is in 10ths of a second, with 14 being the
default.)  Now if a call comes in I generally do not lose my connection.
However, sometimes my communication gets messed up (as though the parity
or data bits settings no longer matched, thus giving me strange characters).

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (08/08/89)

I missed the original.  I assume it asks how to disable call waiting while
you are on the modem.

If anybody posts a message giving you a code to send before dialing
(touchtone "*70" and dial "1170" are popular ones), then promptly ignore
them.

The ability to suppress call waiting is a feature programmed at the central
office switch.  How to access this feature, and if the feature is even
available, will vary.  Therefore, the *only* people who can answer this
question are your telephone company.

Please look in the front section of your "White Pages".  The answer might
be there.  Otherwise, call your telco.  Your last recourse would be to
try the dozens of various codes people might post to find one which works
with your CO switch.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

max@lgc.UUCP (max) (08/09/89)

In article <5190029@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
> I would like a true fix to this problem also.

My fix works everytime.  I dial "*70" before the number which turns off
call waiting for the duration of the call.

--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

sue@gtx.com (Sue Miller) (08/10/89)

In article <> max@lgc.UUCP (max) writes:
>In article <>, davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
>> I would like a true fix to this problem also.
>>
>My fix works everytime.  I dial "*70" before the number which turns off
>call waiting for the duration of the call.

  This fix isn't universal, unfortunately.  Some areas are just
set up so that call waiting will work, and have no way of disabling
it.  Some of the suburbs outside of Phoenix have this problem, and
the phoney company says it will be "quite some time" before the
necessary hardware is installed so that the disable will work.

  I like my fix the best - I called up Ma and said "Get rid of it!"
I hate call-waiting even with voice calls.

--
             listen: there's a hell of a good universe next door;
                             let's go.

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/11/89)

In article <1128@gtx.com> sue@gtx.UUCP (Sue Miller) writes:
<  This fix isn't universal, unfortunately.  Some areas are just
<set up so that call waiting will work, and have no way of disabling
<it.  Some of the suburbs outside of Phoenix have this problem, and
<the phoney company says it will be "quite some time" before the
<necessary hardware is installed so that the disable will work.

Hardware my ASS.  The phoney company was pulling your leg.  It is
strickly software that does this shit.

It may be possible that there isn't enough hardware or processing power
in the current switch to handle the new software.  In that case it is
hardware and yes it would then take awhile, since they will want their
money's worth on the current switch before upgrading.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

mike@point.UUCP (Mike Andrews) (08/16/89)

Setting the S10 register to a higher value will work, but only if BOTH
modems are set to higher value. S10 is the time in tenths of a second that
the modem will wait to recognize a loss of carrier. You can set the register
as high as 255, i.e. ATS10=255, but both you and the modem calling you must
do that.  That would mean that the phone line could disappear for 25 1/2
seconds before the modems would give up with a NO CARRIER result. Note that
while the modems are connected they normally will not resond to dialing
commands, although this may vary by manufacturer, so you may not be able to
tell your modem to do the "flash-*70" on the fly while connected.