[comp.sys.ibm.pc] serial port problems... HELP!

pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) (08/13/89)

Hello. Does anyone know how to successfully use 3 COM ports on a PC? I have
a modem on COM1 (or 2), and a card with two serial ports. I have been unable to
get both serial ports to work with the modem installed, too. Is there some trick
to use? I've tried everything in TFM. The system: 386/25 Phoenix BIOS, Practical
Peripherals 1200 baud modem, Kouwei Electronic Corporation card 2S/P/G.
  Is it the serial card that's screwed? Or the setup?
  Please let me know if you have any knowledge to share!!!

    Thanks!

        - Paul

PAUL THIESSEN                     (Summer only: pt@lanl.gov)
pthiessen@hmcvax.bitnet            ...uunet!jarthur!pthiesse

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (08/14/89)

> From: pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen)
> Date: 12 Aug 89 21:08:08 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>
> Hello. Does anyone know how to successfully use 3 COM ports
> on a PC? I have
> a modem on COM1 (or 2), and a card with two serial ports. I
> have been unable to
> get both serial ports to work with the modem installed, too.
> Is there some trick
> to use? I've tried everything in TFM. The system: 386/25
> Phoenix BIOS, Practical
> Peripherals 1200 baud modem, Kouwei Electronic Corporation
> card 2S/P/G.
> Is it the serial card that's screwed? Or the setup?
> Please let me know if you have any knowledge to share!!!

You didn't say whether you are using an internal or external modem, but I assume from your description of the problem that it is an internal.  If so, the modem uses up one of the assigned i/o address spaces for comm ports. You can get your two serial ports and the modem card to work simultaneously only if you can assign them three separate (non-conflicting) i/o addresses. Check the modem manual to see if you can address the modem as Comm 3 (and then make sure the software you use to drive the modem lets yo

u configure for Comm 3).  Alternatively, leave the modem as Comm 1 or 2 and see if you can strap the Kouwei board so that one of its ports is Comm 3.  If the Kouwei board only allows Comm 1 and 2, and the modem only allows Comm 1 and 2 then you can't use all three ports simultaneously.
Caution:  a lot of software cannot be configured to use Comm 3, only Comm 1 and 2.  You also will start running out of IRQ (interrupt) lines to assign with more than two serial ports.  A better solution for you than fooling around with all this might be to buy a cheap external RS-232 switch box.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/16/89)

In article <30004@beta.lanl.gov>, pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) writes:
> Hello. Does anyone know how to successfully use 3 COM ports on a PC? I have
> a modem on COM1 (or 2), and a card with two serial ports. I have been unable to

This depends on your software but generally speaking comm port 1 and 3 share
IRQ 4 while comms 2 and 4 share IRQ 3.

Qmodem for example has an installation where you can select the both the
address and interrupt being used for communications.

--
Larry Snyder                          uucp: iuxax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern STAR XBBS/Usenet Site    219-287-9020 (VHST) - 219-289-3745 (PEP+)