[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Repost of Modems and call waiting

wagnere@gtephx.UUCP (Eric Wagner) (08/10/89)

For some reason, most people missed my original posting of this.
Therefore, I have received zillions of the same old "just dial
the *70 code" responses from people who were (understandably)
assuming that I just wanted to know how to shut call waiting.
Therefore, and because I feel that this will be an ever-growing
problem to the computing community, I am reposting the original...
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I have a big
problem using my modem given that my home phone line has the
call waiting service.  Yes, I know, when I CALL OUT, I can dial
the *70 code to temporarily disable the call waiting.  But, when
I'm using our company's computer system, which has dial-back
modems, the computer system ends up CALLING ME.  Yes, I know,
if you have 3-way calling (which I do), you can hookflash during
the call, do the *70, and flash back again, but this would cause
the remote computer system to think that the call was dropped
due to a carrier loss.  Does anybody know of any software/hardware
solutions to the problem?

Thank you.

--
-----------------------------
Eric Wagner (wagnere@gtephx)

ellisond@gtephx.UUCP (Dell Ellison) (08/12/89)

In article <44f2a964.15768@gtephx.UUCP>, wagnere@gtephx.UUCP (Eric Wagner) writes:
> For some reason, most people missed my original posting of this.
> Therefore, I have received zillions of the same old "just dial
> the *70 code" responses from people who were (understandably)
> assuming that I just wanted to know how to shut call waiting.
> Therefore, and because I feel that this will be an ever-growing
> problem to the computing community, I am reposting the original...
> Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I have a big
> problem using my modem given that my home phone line has the
> call waiting service.  Yes, I know, when I CALL OUT, I can dial
> the *70 code to temporarily disable the call waiting.  But, when
> I'm using our company's computer system, which has dial-back
> modems, the computer system ends up CALLING ME.  Yes, I know,
> if you have 3-way calling (which I do), you can hookflash during
> the call, do the *70, and flash back again, but this would cause
> the remote computer system to think that the call was dropped
> due to a carrier loss.  Does anybody know of any software/hardware
> solutions to the problem?

There are three different versions of Call Waiting:

   1. Always on

   2. Normally on, but a code will turn it off

   3. Normally off, but a code will turn it on

You might try getting type 3 from your telephone company,
but this might not be what you're looking for.

Also, you might try posting a message on the newsgroup:

   comp.dcom.telecom

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/17/89)

>But, when
>I'm using our company's computer system, which has dial-back
>modems, the computer system ends up CALLING ME.  Yes, I know,
>if you have 3-way calling (which I do), you can hookflash during
>the call, do the *70, and flash back again, but this would cause
>the remote computer system to think that the call was dropped
>due to a carrier loss.  Does anybody know of any software/hardware
>solutions to the problem?

Yes, a simple software hack will do: You call your company.
It calls back, gives you a randomly generated, unique to each all,
password. Then you dial it back and give that password, with call
waiting disabled.