[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modem communications on the Tandy 1000SX

tlanders@sequent.UUCP (Troy Landers) (08/11/89)

When I first purchased my 1000SX, I was under the impression that it was
a true IBM-compatible machine.  Now I hear about how the bus more closely
resembles an old PCjr.  Is this true?  The reason I am asking is that I
recently installed an internal Hayes compatible (Zoom) modem, and it is
giving me some funny trouble.  I get long strings (80+) of the same
character.  For example, a common problem is just after I have connected
to a BBS, the welcome message could look like:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWelcccccccccccccccccoooooooooooooooooooooom

You get the picture?

Also, lately the modem does not seem to realize that the other side has
connected.  I can hear the modems connect, the speaker cuts off, but I
don't see the "CONNECT 2400" string that I used to.  By the way, I use
Procomm version ZM 2.4.2.  I have used procomm on other machines and it
works just fine, so I don't think that's the problem.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Troy

Troy Landers [uucp]!sequent!tlanders *** My opinions are precisely that!

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (08/18/89)

In article <19973@sequent.UUCP> tlanders@sequent.UUCP (Troy Landers) writes:
>When I first purchased my 1000SX, I was under the impression that it was
>a true IBM-compatible machine.  Now I hear about how the bus more closely
>resembles an old PCjr.  Is this true?  The reason I am asking is that I
>recently installed an internal Hayes compatible (Zoom) modem, and it is
>giving me some funny trouble.  I get long strings (80+) of the same
>character.  For example, a common problem is just after I have connected
>to a BBS, the welcome message could look like:
>
>WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWelcccccccccccccccccoooooooooooooooooooooom
>
>You get the picture?
>
>Also, lately the modem does not seem to realize that the other side has
>connected.  I can hear the modems connect, the speaker cuts off, but I
>don't see the "CONNECT 2400" string that I used to.  By the way, I use
>Procomm version ZM 2.4.2.  I have used procomm on other machines and it
>works just fine, so I don't think that's the problem.  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>Troy
>Troy Landers [uucp]!sequent!tlanders *** My opinions are precisely that!

  I have a Tandy 1000SX and am using a Practical Peripherals internal 2400
baud modem with no problems. The only bus difference between the Tandy
1000/A/SX/TX is that IRQ 2 and 5 are reversed. The 1000TL/SL are normal
(although they can be reversed.)
  The only thing I can think of is to make sure that the serial ports are
set up right. Also check to see if the modem is set up right. Sounds vague,
but that's all I can think of.
  SOmeone I know just bought a Zoom modem. If he has any troubles (he has a
AT clone) I'll let you know. It could be just a bad modem (have you tried
putting the modem in another computer??)

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM