[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Audio cards

syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) (08/08/89)

I am looking for a card, with an audio output, that will allow me to run an
audio cable to a remote device with a speaker and make it beep. It doesn't
have to be much: all I need are beeps at various frequencies. (However, if
the only things available are cards with MIDI interfaces capable of
generating nearly any sound, I'll take 'em.) Any suggestions on where to
look?

trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (08/09/89)

In article <43922@bbn.COM> syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) writes:
}I am looking for a card, with an audio output, that will allow me to run an
}audio cable to a remote device with a speaker and make it beep. It doesn't
}have to be much: all I need are beeps at various frequencies. (However, if
}the only things available are cards with MIDI interfaces capable of
}generating nearly any sound, I'll take 'em.) Any suggestions on where to
}look?

If all you need are beeps, why not just run extension wires on the internal
PC speaker wires.  The internal speaker is capable of various frequencies
using BASIC or other software.

There are a lot of better boards around but they could be expensive,
and I don't know where to direct you...

...Terry.

syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) (08/09/89)

In article <15749@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) writes:
>In article <43922@bbn.COM> syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) writes:
>}I am looking for a card, with an audio output, that will allow me to run an
>}audio cable to a remote device with a speaker and make it beep.

>If all you need are beeps, why not just run extension wires on the internal
>PC speaker wires.  The internal speaker is capable of various frequencies
>using BASIC or other software.

Thank you to everyone who responded. The responses I have received have
either been along the lines of Terry's (above), or have been suggestions to
toggle a status line from an RS-232 port and run it to an amplifier.

I would really like a card to do this though. The normal magazines like PC
Magazine and Byte do not seem to carry adds for this kind of thing. Are
there catalogs out there, along the lines of Nuts & Volts, that promote the
odds and ends of computing hardware? Please e-mail your responses to me,
and I will post a summary to the net.

Also, I am now becoming interested in *any* card that is capable of
generating sound. Where is this kind of stuff advertised?

langev@cbnewse.ATT.COM (steve.j.langevin) (08/12/89)

In article <44028@bbn.COM>, syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) writes:
> In article <15749@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) writes:
> >In article <43922@bbn.COM> syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) writes:
> >}I am looking for a card, with an audio output, that will allow me to run an
> >}audio cable to a remote device with a speaker and make it beep.
>
> >If all you need are beeps, why not just run extension wires on the internal
> >PC speaker wires.  The internal speaker is capable of various frequencies
> >using BASIC or other software.
>
> Thank you to everyone who responded. The responses I have received have
> either been along the lines of Terry's (above), or have been suggestions to
> toggle a status line from an RS-232 port and run it to an amplifier.
>
> I would really like a card to do this though. The normal magazines like PC
> Magazine and Byte do not seem to carry adds for this kind of thing. Are
> there catalogs out there, along the lines of Nuts & Volts, that promote the
> odds and ends of computing hardware? Please e-mail your responses to me,
> and I will post a summary to the net.
>
> Also, I am now becoming interested in *any* card that is capable of
> generating sound. Where is this kind of stuff advertised?

There are several audio cards now coming on the market.  I was looking for
one myself a few months back and I settled on one by Ad Lib.  This card
supports 11 voices and it sounds GREAT!  A lot of the entertainment
software manufactures are starting to develop software that supports this
and other cards.  The number for Ad Lib is 1-800-463-2686.
Oh, by the way.  Ad Lib is offering a $20 rebate.

Other audio cards that I've heard of are: CMS, Covex, Roland (there are
probably a few more, but thats all I can think of).  Of the 3 CMS and
Roland are probably OK, but for the money and quality, I don't think you
can beat Ad Lib.  The cost for the Ad Lib was around $200.  The CMS was about
the same.  I think Roland had 2 versions: $200 and $500.  Now that I'm
thinking about it, I believe even IBM has some kind of audio card

Thats about it.  I'm not pushing any of boards, or the manufacturers.
Just forwarding info.

					Steve Langevin

P.S. If you're looking for magazine ads, check out the software game
     magazines.

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (08/18/89)

Computer Age in Canada advertised a voice card for awhile.  They
had an 800 number.  I haven't seen their ads recently in Computer
Shopper, so they may have gone out of business.  This was a full
A/D D/A card, not a speech card.