[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modem picks up fone

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) (08/02/89)

> /* ---------- "modem picks up phone" ---------- */
> When my pc-clone is powered up, my 2400 baud hayes-compatible
> modem insists on picking up the phone (hoping to get a carrier).
> I don't want this; I want to be able to have the computer on
> and pick up the phone and respond to voice messages.  How do
> I fix this?

My next-door neighbor is having the same problem with an old Leading Edge
machine.  His internal 1200bd seizes the phone line.  We've tried every
DIP switch combination we can think of, although none of them seem to
affect that function in the first place.  His normal procedure has been
to plug and unplug the modem from the wall right when he's ready to have it
dial a number.

-- Marcus

wjr@ftp.COM (Bill Rust) (08/03/89)

In article <1222@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:

|| /* ---------- "modem picks up phone" ---------- */
|| When my pc-clone is powered up, my 2400 baud hayes-compatible
|| modem insists on picking up the phone (hoping to get a carrier).
|| I don't want this; I want to be able to have the computer on
|| and pick up the phone and respond to voice messages.  How do
|| I fix this?
|
|My next-door neighbor is having the same problem with an old Leading Edge
|machine.  His internal 1200bd seizes the phone line.  We've tried every
|DIP switch combination we can think of, although none of them seem to
|affect that function in the first place.  His normal procedure has been
|to plug and unplug the modem from the wall right when he's ready to have it
|dial a number.

If these modems really are Hayes-compatible sending ATS=0\r will turn off
auto-answer. Some of the modems without switches have non-volatile memory
which can store this setting. However, the existence of such memory and
the command to store into it are both very non-standard. You may wind up
having to put something into your autoexec.bat file to send this string to the
modem each time that you re-boot. In some cases you can get by with a mode
command followed by copying a file containing the aforementioned string
(note that '\r' is control-M) and sometimes you can't. Experimenting is the
only way to find out. Also note that the timing of sending characters is
sometimes important (ie send them slowly), but other times it isn't. In short,
good luck.

Bill Rust (wjr@ftp.com)

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/03/89)

I am having the same problem with my Hayes 1200b internal modem.  I
hooked up a toggle switch so that I could either use the modem or
talk on the phone.  This problem first appeared after a lightning
storm.  I assume a switch was blown inside the modem.

Does anyone have a suggestion for fixing this problem?

Dave Boyer

g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut) (08/03/89)

In article <36300055@iuvax> boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>I am having the same problem with my Hayes 1200b internal modem.  I
>hooked up a toggle switch so that I could either use the modem or
>talk on the phone.  This problem first appeared after a lightning
>storm.  I assume a switch was blown inside the modem.
>
>Does anyone have a suggestion for fixing this problem?

I can't remember if I posted this, or e-mailed it to the original
poster.  I tried searching backwards on the subject line, and if
I did post the article has expired here.  Therefore, my apologies
if you've seen this before.

I don't know why your modems are behaving as they are.  Some modems
have default settings in non-volatile memory, and it is possible that
the freek occurances that have been mentioned have corrupted that
memory.  Check your modem's documentation to see if this might be
the case.  If so, you should be able to configure the modem using
AT commands and save the configuration in memory.

As for a quick fix, you can disable auto-answer by setting the value
in register S0 to 0.  Putting the line "echo ATS0=0 > COMn" (minus
the quotes), where n is the COM port to which your modem is assigned,
in your autoexec.bat file should do the trick.

Rick
Please send e-mail to:
schaut@madnix.UUCP
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

Madison: an alternative to reality

I am posting this through a friend's account.  His consent to my use of his
account in no way implies his consent to responsibility for the opinions
expressed herein.

mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) (08/03/89)

In article <1222@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:
>> /* ---------- "modem picks up phone" ---------- */
>> When my pc-clone is powered up, my 2400 baud hayes-compatible
>> modem insists on picking up the phone (hoping to get a carrier).
>My next-door neighbor is having the same problem with an old Leading Edge
>machine.  His internal 1200bd seizes the phone line.  We've tried every
>-- Marcus

Disable auto-answer:

	C:\>ECHO ATS0=0 > COM1:

/*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+          These views are my own, and my facts may not be correct.         +
+  Mike Macgirvin                                                           +
+  - Systems Administrator  Stanford Relativity Gyroscope Experiment (GP-B) +
+  - Internet:              mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (36.64.0.50)          +
+  - Bitnet:                mike%relgyro.stanford.edu@stanford              +
+  - Uucp:                  uunet!relgyro.stanford.edu!mike                 +
+  "'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky" - Robert James Marshall (Jimi) Hendrix +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (08/04/89)

In article <691@ftp.COM> wjr@ftp.UUCP (Bill Rust) writes:

>If these modems really are Hayes-compatible sending ATS=0\r will turn off
>auto-answer. Some of the modems without switches have non-volatile memory
>which can store this setting. However, the existence of such memory and
>the command to store into it are both very non-standard. You may wind up

I have a real Hayes Smartmodem 2400 and it *DOES* come with non-
volatile memory.... Since when the existence of such memory
VERY NON-STANDARD?  I assume that the Hayes 2400 is a fairly
good example of a "standard" modem... After all, Hayes did
invent the protocol commonly used in all "hayes compatible" modems..

Most Hayes compatible 2400 baud modems come with standard non-
volatile memory... You might have been thinking of the older
1200 baud modems that use to have switches.... Is this
what you were implying? If so, then what you stated is true....
It's sort of confusing when two levels of replys are imbedded
in the message....

George

joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) (08/04/89)

If the modem is a Hayes compatible, the AT command set can turn off the
modem's "Auto-Answer" feature.  The command is:
  ATS0=0
   This command should turn off the Auto-Answer feature.

   Jim Henderson, joe@pnet51.cts.com
  "Don't ask me how it works or I'll start to whimper."  - Arthur Dent
  DISCLAIMER:  "I speak for myself, and only for myself."  (Except where noted.)

Richard.Schaut@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Schaut) (08/06/89)

--
Fidonet:  Richard Schaut via 1:363/9
Internet: Richard.Schaut@mamab.FIDONET.ORG

csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) (08/18/89)

>> /* ---------- "modem picks up phone" ---------- */
>> When my pc-clone is powered up, my 2400 baud hayes-compatible
>> modem insists on picking up the phone (hoping to get a carrier).

> My next-door neighbor is having the same problem with an old Leading Edge
> machine.  His internal 1200bd seizes the phone line.  We've tried every
> DIP switch combination we can think of, ...

Some software communcations packages allow for autoanswer disable/enable
that can be stored in nonvolitile ram or registers on your modem...
Are they Hayes or Hayes compatables?  Try setting S0=0 and using the
&W command to save the configuration change.  If the modems came with
documentation, they must have something about this problem in them.
--
Colin Sachs    -    csachs@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

   "I believe in everything; nothing is sacred.
    I believe in nothing; everything is sacred."  -the Chink

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (08/18/89)

in article <728@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) says:

> /* ---------- "modem picks up phone" ---------- */
> When my pc-clone is powered up, my 2400 baud hayes-compatible
> modem insists on picking up the phone (hoping to get a carrier).

If you have Kermit, an AutoExec.Bat line of
Kermit Hang
will load Kermit, lower DTR, and exit, which should stop your modem
from auto-answer.
Or, you could use a shorter program to lower DTR, but I think the load time
of Kermit is better than wasted disk space.
This assumes that your modem cable includes DTR (pin 20 at the modem), and
that the modem is set to follow DTR.
In Microsoft C, for Comm 1:
main()
{
 outp ( 0x3FC, 0x00 );  /* 00 to turn off DTR, 01 to assert it */
 return(0);
}

--
---