[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 4.00/4.01

grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) (08/02/89)

I have a question with regards to IBM PC-DOS 4.00 and 4.01.  In the initial
releases of 4.00, it proved to be quite buggy.  IBM released a "maintenance"
upgrade they called 4.01 but I still see 4.00 on the Documentation and
diskettes.  Is this truly 4.01 packaged in the older cover or what gives?

joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) (08/12/89)

grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:
>I have a question with regards to IBM PC-DOS 4.00 and 4.01.  In the initial
>releases of 4.00, it proved to be quite buggy.  IBM released a "maintenance"
>upgrade they called 4.01 but I still see 4.00 on the Documentation and
>diskettes.  Is this truly 4.01 packaged in the older cover or what gives?

To find out what version of DOS you are using, boot up from a system diskette
and type the command "VER".  This will give you a message saying what version
of DOS you are using.

   Jim Henderson, joe@pnet51.cts.com
  "Don't ask me how it works or I'll start to whimper."  - Arthur Dent
  DISCLAIMER:  "I speak for myself, and only for myself."  (Except where noted.)

erck12@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Ballinger) (08/18/89)

In article <851@orbit.UUCP> joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) writes:

>To find out what version of DOS you are using, boot up from a system diskette
>and type the command "VER".  This will give you a message saying what version
>of DOS you are using.

	Under PC DOS 4.01, "VER" identifies itself as DOS 4.00 . I guess this is
due to the upgrade being brought out in a hurry after all the bugs were found in
the first release. Maybe IBM didn't want to admit that they could release a
product with bugs in it!

--

 Geoff Ballinger,                    JANET: Geoff@Ed.Ac.Uk
 CS/AI,                               ARPA: Geoff%Uk.Ac.Ed@nsfnet-relay.Ac.Uk

grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) (08/19/89)

In article <851@orbit.UUCP>, joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) writes:
> grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:
> >I have a question with regards to IBM PC-DOS 4.00 and 4.01.  In the initial
> >releases of 4.00, it proved to be quite buggy.  IBM released a "maintenance"
> >upgrade they called 4.01 but I still see 4.00 on the Documentation and
> >diskettes.  Is this truly 4.01 packaged in the older cover or what gives?
>
> To find out what version of DOS you are using, boot up from a system diskette
> and type the command "VER".  This will give you a message saying what version
> of DOS you are using.

I've typed the VER command and it indicates that it is 4.00 even though IBM
tells me not to worry, although it displays 4.00 it is really 4.01.

--
Grant M. Fengstad     "The ideas expressed are my own - not my employers"
Sr. CSR, Systems Integration - ComputerLand (Canada)