[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TrueBASIC

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (08/12/89)

In article <1617@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>...TRUEBasic is supposed to be fully compatible with the latest ANSI
>standard for BASIC. In other words, it is not *remotely* compatible
>with GW-BASIC, Microsoft BASIC, Turbo BASIC, or any other PC BASIC.
Whoa, I thought that Turbo BASIC and Microsoft's QuickBasic were ANSI, or
ANSI-like.  True BASIC is NOT like the old (PC or GW) BASIC.  Thank
goodness.  They do include a "converter" that might be useful in
changing PC-BASIC to True BASIC.

Disclaimer:  I know people who used to work for True BASIC.
Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (08/14/89)

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:

<In article <1617@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
<>...TRUEBasic is supposed to be fully compatible with the latest ANSI
<>standard for BASIC. In other words, it is not *remotely* compatible
<>with GW-BASIC, Microsoft BASIC, Turbo BASIC, or any other PC BASIC.
<...
<Whoa, I thought that Turbo BASIC and Microsoft's QuickBasic were ANSI, or
<ANSI-like.  True BASIC is NOT like the old (PC or GW) BASIC.  Thank
<goodness.  They do include a "converter" that might be useful in
<changing PC-BASIC to True BASIC.

The ANSI basic standard arrived at about 5 years ago is *very* different
from the older  ANSI basic standard. It borrowed heavily from mainframe
implementations and pretty much ingored Microsoft implementations.

Of the top of my head the only difference I can recall is that "!"
rather than "'" is a remark marker. But just think how much code
*that* will break... and it is one of the more minor differences.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

bpendlet@bambam.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (08/15/89)

From article <14980@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, by stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett):

> Whoa, I thought that Turbo BASIC and Microsoft's QuickBasic were ANSI, or
> ANSI-like.  True BASIC is NOT like the old (PC or GW) BASIC.  Thank
> goodness.  They do include a "converter" that might be useful in
> changing PC-BASIC to True BASIC.

The question is; which ANSI Basic?

There is ANSI BASIC, which TrueBASIC implements. And, there is ANSI
Minimal BASIC. ANSI Minimal BASIC is a subset of GWBasic. Or maybe I
should say that in the process of creating GWBasic, microsoft BASIC
was extended so that it included all of ANSI Minimal BASIC as a
subset.

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion) ANSI BASIC is a respectable
applications programming language. It actually improves on Dartmouth
BASIC. Dartmouth BASIC was, for its time, a very nice application
programming language/environment.

It is nice to see some good, compiled, implementations of BASIC
hitting the street.  Thoughs of us who learned BASIC on mainframes
were very surprised to find that microcomputer BASICs were
interpreted. When I learned BASIC a good sized mainframe had a
megabyte of ram, a 1 mip processor, and maybe as much as 100 megs of
disk.

			Bob P.
--
              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
UUCP Address:  decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

           Reality is stanger than most people can imagine

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/20/89)

>It is nice to see some good, compiled, implementations of BASIC
>hitting the street.  Thoughs of us who learned BASIC on mainframes
>were very surprised to find that microcomputer BASICs were
>interpreted. When I learned BASIC a good sized mainframe had a
>megabyte of ram, a 1 mip processor, and maybe as much as 100 megs of
>disk.

I was very surprised to see that VAX Basic was not an interpreter.
I had always thought that the only reason for someone to use Basic is
if they needed, for some reason or another, an interpreted language.
Real Basic (as opposed to ANSI Basic, which isn't Basic) is very useful
for small, easily changed things done once and discarded. It is like
a grown up calculator. Compiling destroys that. For real projects
there are compiled languages like C or Fortran.

When I learned Basic, a good sized mainframe said "7094" on the front.

Doug McDonald