[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Disk Woes

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (01/27/89)

First of all, did you do a LOW level format of this drive when you installed
it into the computer?  NOTE: Most AT-type HD controllers DON'T have a BIOS
on them to do the low level format, you need a program to do it (usually
something is available with the system setup disk).

If you did do a LOW level format, then I don't really know what's wrong.
The only thing that I can suggest is to reformat it again from low level up.

The only other possibility is that your DOS 3.3 has a bug in it.  You may wish
to call the manufacturer and ask for the most recent DOS.

Sorry, I can't be of much more help here.

                                        -- J. Chin (a.k.a. Computer Dr.)
 xxxxxxxxxx
xxx  xxx  xx  ------------------ Carnegie Mellon University ------------------
xxx  xxx  xx  4730 Centre Ave. #412     ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
xxxxxxxxxxxx  Pittsburgh, PA  15213     BITnet:  jc58@andrew.BITNET
x xxxxxxxx x  (412) 268-8936            UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
xx        xx  ----------------------------------------------------------------
 xxxxxxxxxx   Smile! -- Mr. HappyWOWface -- (got this from the network)

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (08/19/89)

My seagate st4096 (80 meg MFM) drive came with Disk Manager version V3.5
However this version does not work on Ps/2's, I need version P4.0 to make
it work.  Jameco said to talk to Seagate who referred me to Ontrack who
developed Disk Manager.  And they want $125 for version P4.0.

Is there any pd/shareware programs to do the same thing?  I'm running DOS
4.0 so large partitions don't matter.  I would think there would be a way
to make the ps/2's support any drive configuration using ADF files on the
reference disk.  But I don't have the MFM controller's ADF file...sigh.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on making this work!

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/21/89)

In article <12438@s.ms.uky.edu>, simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
> My seagate st4096 (80 meg MFM) drive came with Disk Manager version V3.5
> However this version does not work on Ps/2's, I need version P4.0 to make
> it work.  Jameco said to talk to Seagate who referred me to Ontrack who
> developed Disk Manager.  And they want $125 for version P4.0.

  If you purchase a new ST-4096 now, it comes with DM version 4.01.
If you are using DOS 4.0 or 4.01, you can use other kind of software
package (such as SpeedStor etc.) to do the low-level formatting. Some
hard controllers have build-in low-level formatter (such as WD 1003V
and WD 1006V) program.  I only tried this on compatibles, NOT the
IBM PS/2, so it may not work on PS/2 (at least I haven't tried it yet).