[net.general] Discussion of Drug Testing

abc@brl-smoke.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (09/24/86)

A few days ago, I asked that the discussion on drug testing be conducted
in net.general so that those of us with censored newsgroups would have
a chance to read and participate.

There are, it turns out, very good reasons why this is not advisable.
Many friendly folks have taken the trouble to write and explain this to
me.  To them, I am grateful.

However, not all folks were friendly, polite, or even humane.  Today I
received a cruel, vicious response from someone who knows me not -- who
knows nothing of my habits, my lifestyle, or my health.  Nevertheless,
he felt that he was competent to comment on all.  I have attached his
response to my plea followed by my answer to him.

It just seemed to me that this kind of attitude needs to be exposed for
what it is.

Thanks to all the good folks out there who deal with tough subjects with
care and sensitivity.

Brint

-----------

Date:     Tue, 23 Sep 86 19:03:21 EDT
From:     Brint Cooper  <abc@brl>
To:       seismo!hplabs!felix!fritz!rlong@BRL
Subject:  Re: The war on drugs (really, where this discussion goes)

I appreciate your taking your valuable time to answer my posting.

Now, let me appraise you of the facts:

	1. I am NOT a drug user.  I am an electronics engineer, age 47,
with a debilitating neuromuscular illness called Myasthenia Gravis.  At
my age and state of health, a change of job is out of the question.
It's simply that no other employer would have me.

	2. Holding a security clearance puts me in the group of federal
employees covered by the Executive Order mandating drug testing.

	3. In order to cope with my illness, I take, at the orders of my
Physician, an over-the-counter (not prescription) medicine called
Ephedrine Sulfate.  Ephedrine has a chemical structure very similar to
the amphetemine known as "speed."  It is very likely that I will test
postive  for amphetemines.

	4. Even without that complication, false positives on such tests
have occurred in from 1% to 20% of the cases tested, depending on the
laboratory.  Lab tests cost from $35 to $200 each.  Guess which ones
make the most mistakes.  Given the penchant for buying from the lowest
bidder, guess who gets the job?

	5. Given the "two strikes and you're out" hysteria in the White
House, guess what happens to me?

Of course, it's obvious from the pleasant tone and polite language of
your letter that you really don't give a damn.  It's your right not to
give a damn.

But you're WRONG -- you're DEAD WRONG!  You don't have to admit it.

But you are.

--
Brint Cooper

	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,unc,decvax,cbosgd}!brl-smoke!abc