[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there an Internet gateway to CompuServ??

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim Dworkin) (08/09/89)

Within the past few days someone posted a message (I'm fairly sure it was
to this newsgroup) mentioning an Internet address to send mail to users
of CompuServ.  It appeared to say that if a users CIS i.d. number was
76543,210 that you could send a message to 76543.210@CompuServ.com
and the message would be posted in the person's e-mail on CIS.
I tried that and all my mail bounced back saying "host unknown".

Can anyone tell me, is there in fact a gateway from Internet to CIS?
and if so what is the address?

Chaim

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

leoh@hardy.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (08/10/89)

In article <13576@netnews.upenn.edu> chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim  Dworkin) writes:

>76543,210 that you could send a message to 76543.210@CompuServ.com
                                                               ^
The correct address is 76543.210@compuserve.com (notice the trailing "e")

Leo Hinds

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (08/12/89)

From article <13576@netnews.upenn.edu>, by chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim  Dworkin):

> Within the past few days someone posted a message (I'm fairly sure it was
> to this newsgroup) mentioning an Internet address to send mail to users
> of CompuServ.  It appeared to say that if a users CIS i.d. number was
> 76543,210 that you could send a message to 76543.210@CompuServ.com
> and the message would be posted in the person's e-mail on CIS.

I saw a note like this encapsulated in FractInt 9.1 (which, in fact, does
not work on my V20-based machine, while FractInt 8.0 and 8.1 did).

I was informed that "compuserv.com" was unrecognized, and "compuserve.com"
gave me the cryptic response "No address, look for MF record" from our
mainframe.

I used nslookup to ask sri-nic.arpa where compuserve was.  It didn't know.
If it doesn't know, we're stuck.

Just another promised but undelivered feature, I suspect.
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    <ho@fergvax.unl.edu>

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (08/12/89)

    Only tonight I received a msg on compuserve from a fellow on
Internet.  He addressed his message to
	73407,3152@compuserve.com		( with the 'e')
so indeed there seems to be a way.  I haven't tried to reply as yet.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152  /* rent this space */
Seattle Silicon Corp. 3075 112th Ave NE. Bellevue WA 98004 (206) 828 4422

onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John DeBert) (08/13/89)

There is indeed mail access to and from CompuServe.

To CompuServe is:

ppn@compuserve.com

The ppn is the user id, i.e., 70006,101. The comma should be changed
to a period, thus: 70006.101.

From CIS, in Easyplex, >INTERNET: (any valid mail address)

IF you send mail from CIS to a server, do not place a header within the
text of the message as it will cause the server to reject the entire
message. ( don't put a To: line at the beginning of the text, for
example, even though Easyplex allows it.)

JJD
onymouse@netcom.UUCP

2212msr@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (max.s.robin) (08/14/89)

I regularly send message to Compuserve, using the following type of address:

              compuserve.com!73710,2611

Note that you MUST use a dot in the numeric portion of the Compuserve address,
rather than the normal CIS comma

If your machine doesn't recognize compuserve.com, try csi.compuserve.com
since there is an apparent gateway.

CIS to the net works in the following form:

              >internet:whuts!2212msr

Hope this is of some help.

Max Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
email:whuts!2212msr
voice:201-386-6865
CIS:  73710,2611

greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) (08/14/89)

In article <2076@netcom.UUCP> onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John DeBert) writes:
>There is indeed mail access to and from CompuServe.

	We don't have those wonderful "domain" names available from our
	site <sigh>.  Can someone supply a valid "bang-path" to CI$ (and,
	of course, from CI$ to a major site).

	Also, is there a surcharge for sending (and receiving?) an Internet
	message to (from) CI$?

    | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (08/14/89)

The compuserve.com (note spelling.... not compuserv.com) address is a MX
record that points to the gateway machine, saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu.
Saqqara is also known as osu-cis to pure uucp sites.  Mail is perfered in
the form per.prj@compuserve.com where per.prj is the person's login, such
as 77102,1034.  Note that the comma has been turned into a period to make
the address a valid rfc-822 address.

If you must just uucp bang paths (death to bang paths!) you can try sending
to osu-cis!compuserv.com!per.prj or cis.ohio-state.edu!compuserve.com!per.prj.
both of which will work.  If you have friends in the corperate side of
CompuServe (or employees) you can send mail to username@csi.compuserve.com

Outgoing mail sould be in the form >internet:user@host.dom.  Once again
bang paths will *work* but are strongly discouraged.

--
Mark A. Verber
System Programmer, Physics Department, Ohio State University

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (08/21/89)

In article <686@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:

>Outgoing mail sould be in the form >internet:user@host.dom.  Once again
>bang paths will *work* but are strongly discouraged.

One further note on sending mail from CIS to Internet:  if you use Tapcis (a
PC program to automate CIS sessions), you'll have trouble with long addresses.
In the message editor you can enter as long an address as you like, but
it will get truncated to 30-odd characters when the message gets saved
to the .SND file.  You can manually edit this file to fix the address using
the E command.  I just let Tapcis's author know about this, and he says it'll
be fixed in the next release.

If you haven't got it or some other program like it, I strongly recommend
getting it.  It's shareware (a bit expensive to register, but we're talking
about CI$), and can be downloaded from the TAPCIS forum and some others.
It makes sessions so much cheaper, that you'll probably sign on more often
and end up with higher bills, but much more bang for your bucks.

Duncan Murdoch