[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mylex Motherboards - Why not?

bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) (08/16/89)

	I recently took a close look at a 386sx machine based on a Mylex
motherboard.  I was fairly impressed with it, compared to what I've read
on the net in the past.  My question is, why would you reccommend against
a Mylex motherboard.  I have read bad reccommendations in the past, but no
real reasons why.  Please respond with any experiences, good or bad.
The machine I looked at, had Phoenix BIOS, Phoenix/VLSI chipset, 7 16 bit
slots, and 1 8 bit slot, and appeared to be of the highest quality.

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (08/16/89)

In article <4843@bgsuvax.UUCP>, bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) writes:

> 	I recently took a close look at a 386sx machine based on a Mylex
> motherboard.  I was fairly impressed with it, compared to what I've read
> on the net in the past.  My question is, why would you reccommend against
> a Mylex motherboard.  I have read bad reccommendations in the past, but no
> real reasons why.  Please respond with any experiences, good or bad.
> The machine I looked at, had Phoenix BIOS, Phoenix/VLSI chipset, 7 16 bit
> slots, and 1 8 bit slot, and appeared to be of the highest quality.
                         ^^
                         don't forget 1s and 1p too

I have one of these boards running in my system now.  It works almost
perfectly, so far.  I ran into shadow BIOS incompatibility, and it is
only a minor inconvenience, since I can map any memory not used for
shadowing out into the extended address space.  I have a rather
unusual hardware configuration, but judging by past posting the
shadowing incompatibility is probably the fault of the Pheonix BIOS
rather than the cards.  For your info, my configuration is:

	Mylex MXS-16 motherboard w/ 4MB (ie. 4 1MB 100ns SIMMS)
	Video-7 Fastwrite VGA card w/ 256KB and Magnovox Mono VGA monitor.
	Seagate ST02 SCSI host addaptor and ST296N 84 MB SCSI HD.

When I enable Video BIOS shadowing the ST02 can't find the HD.  I
tried changing the ST02 BIOS location to different places, but the
problem wouldn't go away.  My solution was to dissable video BIOS
shadowing (System BIOS shadowing works fine); remap the RAM out into
the extended memory space, and install the RAMBIOS driver shipped with
the Fastwrite in my config.sys file.  I wish I had a RAM installable
driver for the SCSI BIOS as maybe then I could get transfers to take
place fast enough to format the drive with a 1:1 interleave -- Oh well
450+ KBPS with a 2:1 interleve isn't slow, and a big RAM cache makes
the actual drive speed almost unimportant.  I don't know that not
having the SCSI bios in RAM is what is preventing the transfers from
going fast enough, but I do know that other people with 16MHz machines
have claimed to be able to get the 900+ KBPS transfer rates.  The
system has a Norton 4.5 Si rating of 16.(5-6) at 16MHz and about 11 at
8Mhz (you figure why it is not half).  I haven't had any normal DOS
software that wouldn't run.  I have run VMOS/3 which runs in protected
mode.  VMOS seems to work fairly well, but is not very robust -- It is
after all a young product.  I have been able to get 4 programs (the
machine wasn't anywhere near out of resources so I probably could have
started more) running simultaneously under VMOS -- some of them were
even games.  I wish I had UNIX to try out, but I'm waiting for GNU or
UNIX prices to drop.  I do know that Intel says their UNIX won't run
on a 386sx ( you figure the company that makes the processor would
know what to change :-).  I don't know about the other UNIX vendors.
I am happy with the Mylex board.  It is a good deal for a entry level
386 board.  I bought it from:

	MicroSource Distributors
	(800)-326-4276
	$483 0KB shipped 2nd day UPS.

PS.  If anybody has any suggestions for how to solve the shadowing
conflict or speed up the SCSI transfers, I would love to hear them.
Buying new cards isn't the solution I want to hear :-)
--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/17/89)

In article <17144@ut-emx.UUCP> allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:

| UNIX prices to drop.  I do know that Intel says their UNIX won't run
| on a 386sx ( you figure the company that makes the processor would
| know what to change :-).  I don't know about the other UNIX vendors.
| I am happy with the Mylex board.  It is a good deal for a entry level
| 386 board.  I bought it from:

  Has anyone else verified this? Several 386SX vendors have sworn to me
that their systems would run Xenix and UNIX. Is this something
particular to Intel? I assume that you can tell if the system is an SX
or not, but why do it?
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (08/18/89)

In article <1711@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) writes:
> In article <17144@ut-emx.UUCP> allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
> | UNIX prices to drop.  I do know that Intel says their UNIX won't run
> | on a 386sx ( you figure the company that makes the processor would
> | know what to change :-).  I don't know about the other UNIX vendors.
>   Has anyone else verified this? Several 386SX vendors have sworn to me
> that their systems would run Xenix and UNIX. Is this something
> particular to Intel? I assume that you can tell if the system is an SX
> or not, but why do it?

Since my earlier posting, I talked to a sales rep. for SCO and he said
that their 386 products would run on a 386sx no problem, but remember
you can believe everything a sales rep tells you ;-).  He did ask if I
had an AT bus, and it was after I said yes, that he said no problem.
Maybe there is problem in microchannel based 386sx systems.  Intel
wasn't very clear as to why their current unix product wouldn't run on
a 386sx.  It had something to do with not being able to do full 32 bit
memory accesses in the first megabyte of memory (huh?).  I have know
idea why this would be a problem, as it should just take longer to do
32 bit accesses.  As to being able to tell the difference between a
386 and 386sx, all of the 386 specific software I have tried so far
has identified the processor as a 386 and run as advertised.  To tell
the difference, I think software would have to count the nember of
clock cycles to do 32 bit memory accesses.  I guess the time would be
around twice as long for the sx.
--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/22/89)

In article <17241@ut-emx.UUCP> allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
>In article <1711@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) writes:
>Since my earlier posting, I talked to a sales rep. for SCO and he said
>that their 386 products would run on a 386sx no problem, but remember
>you can believe everything a sales rep tells you ;-).  He did ask if I
>had an AT bus, and it was after I said yes, that he said no problem.
>Maybe there is problem in microchannel based 386sx systems.  Intel
>	Kevin Allred

You might ask said salesperson why, if they will run on a 386SX without
problem, they do not list a single 386SX-based machine on their current
compatibility list ("Configuration Guide") -- not even the Compaq or
the IBM (PS/2 Model 55Z or whatever).  I just got the list from them
last week; it's dated June 1989.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!