[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using a seagate 4096

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (08/19/89)

Has anyone out there tried to use a non-IBM drive in a Ps/2 system?

My controller is MFM, and I've got a st4096 (80 megs) hooked up.
The drive powers up fine, but I don't know the drive type...
The original 44 meg drive is a type 31, I've tried 33,34,35,32,44,17, and
several others.

I do not have an ADF file for my MFM controller, and there hasn't been on
any of the 4-5 reference disks I've looked over.  I would think that the
automatic configuration stuff would let me page through the drive types...

Help!

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/22/89)

In article <12436@s.ms.uky.edu> simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>Has anyone out there tried to use a non-IBM drive in a Ps/2 system?
>My controller is MFM, and I've got a st4096 (80 megs) hooked up.
>The drive powers up fine, but I don't know the drive type...
>The original 44 meg drive is a type 31, I've tried 33,34,35,32,44,17,
>and several others.
>Help!
>Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky

On my Zenith AT compatible, the 4096 is a drive type 35.  You might
want to give 35 another try...  (I have a 4096 and it works just fine)

Is this a Micro Channel PS/2 (Model 50 +)?  Perhaps they don't handle
all MFM drives properly...

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!