[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Clones

nigel@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Nigel Sharples) (08/01/89)

Does anyone have any experience with clone manufacturers such
as:

Swan
PC brand
Dell
SAI
Excel

I am interested in general quality, reliability and technical support.
Thanks!

Nigel
--
   "Many's the night I've dreamed of cheese, toasted mostly."

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (08/18/89)

In article <3050@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, nigel@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Nigel Sharples) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with clone manufacturers such
> as:
>
> Swan
> PC brand
> Dell
> SAI
> Excel

    I can reccomend Dell highly.  We have several here and interestingly enough
    it was the ONLY pc clone (we tried Compaq and some others) that would run
    a PC/370 test board made by IBM that we use for channel testing.

    Good company and fast service as well.

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) (08/19/89)

/* ---------- "Re: PC clones" ---------- */
In article <3050@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, nigel@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Nigel Sharples) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with clone manufacturers such
> as:
>
> Swan
> PC brand
> Dell
> SAI
> Excel

I can strongly recommend PC Brand.  Their sales personnel are knowledgeable
and efficient and their technical assistance is excellent, although there may
be some wait since they get pretty busy.

I purchased a 20-MHz 286 machine from PC Brand in mid-April, with 2MB RAM,
1.2MB and 1.44MB floppies, 110MB Toshiba 24ms hard drive,
NEC-2A SuperVGA monitor with Delco electronics DVGA-16 superVGA board,
MS-DOS 4.01, serial/parallel, etc., for $3150.

*** This includes PC Brand's five-year warranty. ***

My machine has been positively outstanding and has operated with no problem
whatsoever.  It has passed every benchmark program and every test I can come
up with for it, and the DVGA-16 board tests out as totally compatible with the
VGA and lower resolutions and reproduces them faithfully.

I have about 65MB of data already on the 110MB hard drive, from Ventura to
MS Flight Simulator and dozens of PD/Shareware packages, and they all run
perfectly.

As a side note, my machine does not suffer from the apparent
problem many machines have with formatting, reading and writing a 360K diskette
in the 1.2MB drive, or with transferring data from diskettes other machines
have created to my machine or vice-versa.

-- Marcus Clenney
U. of Central Fla.
wordproc@ucf-cs.ucf.edu

paul.griffith@f624.n250.z1.fidonet.org (paul griffith) (08/20/89)

Take Dell there are excellent, so is their customer service and their
computers.

--- QM v1.00
 * Origin: [ The Nameless BBS ] (416)638-7737 * (1:250/624.0)

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (08/21/89)

In article <3050@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, nigel@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Nigel Sharples) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with clone manufacturers such
> as:
>
> Swan
> PC brand
> Dell
> SAI
> Excel

About a year ago I bought an Excel from Network-PC; I was attracted by
the warrantee, the 48 hour burn-in, and the fact they were in Nebraska
(I'm a loudmouthed Chicagoan, and am quite good at bullying rural
midwesterners when necessary - as it turned out to be in this case, though
generally such people bend over backwards to be honest and helpful.)

The machine arrived totally disfunctional.  Inside I found that the
drive cable (I ordered a machine with a hard disk and only 1 floppy,
a 3.5") was not only not connected, but not connectable.  I called
NPC; they told me to whittle the cable's connecter with a knife until
it fit (!).  I did, but of course the machine still didn't work.
I switched myself into bully mode, and finally got the company's president
on the line (I was demanding not only a full refund, but compensation
for my time, which I had itemized).  My biggest question was, how could a
machine, which had obviously never worked, have passed a 48 hour burn in?
And wouldn't Nebraska's Attorney General be interested in this?

Well, I finally got a replacement machine from them, together with
a few extra doodads (like a second, 5.25" disk drive) and a small rebate for
my time and trouble.  To be fair, they were actually reasonably nice about
everything.  They even had a fairly convincing (if not satisfying)
explanation for the burn-in thing.  The machine has worked absolutely
flawlessly for almost a year under fairly strenuous use (once I stopped
using DR DOS, which came with the machine, and which is total garbage).
I would even buy from them again.

However, I wouldn't recommend them to someone who had neither technical
expertise nor a willingness to get fierce over the phone.

spiros@inmet (08/21/89)

/* Written  1:11 pm  Aug 18, 1989 by wordproc@ucf-cs.UUCP in inmet:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "PC Clones (response)" ---------- */
I purchased a 20-MHz 286 machine from PC Brand in mid-April, with 2MB RAM,
1.2MB and 1.44MB floppies, 110MB Toshiba 24ms hard drive,
NEC-2A SuperVGA monitor with Delco electronics DVGA-16 superVGA board,
MS-DOS 4.01, serial/parallel, etc., for $3150.
-- Marcus Clenney
U. of Central Fla.
wordproc@ucf-cs.ucf.edu
/* End of text from inmet:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

Are you sure Delco electronics makes superVGA boards? I thought we make
things like engine controllers, radios, and other vehicle electronics...

Or is there someone using Delco's name and we are unaware of it?

Semi-seriously, (But I think the company's name is Deco not Delco)

Spiros
--
Spiros  Triantafyllopoulos .-----. MS CT30A, Kokomo, IN 46902  | (317) 451-0639
A.E.S.,  Delco Electronics | G M | spiros%gmr.com@relay.cs.net | spiros@gmr.com

dale@oakhill.UUCP (Dale Stevens) (08/23/89)

In article <89082121400710@masnet.uucp> paul.griffith@f624.n250.z1.fidonet.org (paul griffith) writes:

>Take Dell there are excellent, so is their customer service and their
>computers.
if only you can affort to spend that much on a computer!
>--- QM v1.00
> * Origin: [ The Nameless BBS ] (416)638-7737 * (1:250/624.0)
--
----
Dale Stevens.  Motorola Inc.  cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!apache!dale