[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CompuServe <------>Internet gateway

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim Dworkin) (08/10/89)

I just want to thank all the dozens of people who ventured a guess as to
why my mail to friends on CompuServe bounced.  I must have hit on a popular
subject because in less than 24 hours I received dozens of replies; however,
only 4 people correctly noticed that I was inadvertantly leaving off the
final "e" from compuserve in the address.

To summarize:

To send mail to people on CompuServe, if the person's CIS i.d. is 76543,210
you would address your message to 76543.210@compuserve.com

To send mail from within CIS to someone on Internet you would append
a >INTERNET:   to the person's address; so to send mail to me address it to

>INTERNET:chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

You currently can shorten the >INTERNET: to just >INET: but I've been
informed that CIS will soon do away with that and require you to spell
the word INTERNET out completely.

Thanks again!!

Chaim

leoh@hardy.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (08/14/89)

On a similar note ... is it possiple to use the compuserve/MCI mail link via the internet ?

johnl@esegue.uucp (John R. Levine) (08/16/89)

In article <1280@hcx1.UUCP> leoh@hardy.hdw.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>On a similar note ... is it possiple to use the compuserve/MCI mail link
>via the internet ?

No, but you don't have to.  MCI Mail has a very nice but totally
unpublicised gateway of their own that I stumbled across.  To send mail from
MCI to the Internet, tell MCI Mail you're sending to a REMS, give the REMS
name as "internet" and on the mailbox line, give the internet address.  To
go the other way, send to something like 0001234567@mcimail.com where the
number is the MCI Mail account number padded to ten digits.  Not all
internet hosts know mcimail.com, but uunet does.  Bang paths seem to work
too.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, johnl@ima.isc.com, Levine@YALE.something

genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) (08/16/89)

In article <1280@hcx1.UUCP> leoh@hardy.hdw.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>On a similar note ... is it possiple to use the compuserve/MCI mail link via
>the internet ?

* An echo of a request *
And on another similar note...  what about other major networks?  For example
Applink in particular.  [no boos or hisses please]
 / Jan Genemans      |   USENET:  Jan.Genemans@Dartmouth.edu             \
/  ADP               |   UUCP: ...!dartvax!mac.dartmouth.edu!Jan.Genemans \
\  U.S.M.M.A.        +---------+------------------------------------------/
 \ Kings Point, NY  11024      |      "Live long and prosper"  -Spock    /

davem@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Dave McQuate) (08/24/89)

Can I send bug Turbo C reports to Borland and receive replies from them via
this internet<=>compuserve link?  (Could someone give me an appropriate CIS
number?)

Thanks,

Dave McQuate

Voice: 		(707) 577-4585