[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Getting more than 640K for DOS

lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (08/14/89)

A friend of mine has a package called 704K.ARC or some such which
puports to give you 704K of DOS accessable RAM on a monochrome or
CGA system by somehow making real memory appear at locations A000-AFFF
which aren't needed unless you have a VGA/EGA.  The documentation is
*very* vague and doesn't explain to him or me just what sort of
physical memory situation you must have (since I assume you must
have more than 640K *physical* RAM in your machine).  It doesn't
really explain anything and to make a long storey short, we can't
get the pgm working.

I have seen programs similar to this in the SIMTEL archives, etc.
but they all require you to have EMS 4.0. My friend has a 286 with
640K base mwmory and 384K extended (1 Meg total).

Would anyone be familiar with this package and kindly explain how,
and under what circumstances, it works.  Would anyone have a similar
package that could be used by friend send it along.

Many thanks.

John Wright      //////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8
Cdn/Eannet:lane@cs.dal.cdn  Uucp:lane@dalcs.uucp or {uunet watmath}!dalcs!lane
Arpa:lane%dalcs.uucp@uunet.uu.net  Internet:lane@cs.dal.ca
--

tom@mims-iris.uucp (Tom Haapanen) (08/15/89)

John Wright <lane@cs.dal.ca> writes:
> A friend of mine has a package called 704K.ARC or some such which
> puports to give you 704K of DOS accessable RAM on a monochrome or
> CGA system by somehow making real memory appear at locations A000-AFFF
> which aren't needed unless you have a VGA/EGA.  [...]
> I have seen programs similar to this in the SIMTEL archives, etc.
> but they all require you to have EMS 4.0.

A recent PC Magazine mentioned a package called 386-To-The-Max or
something like that, which allows you to load your TSRs in high memory.
Does anybody know anything about this package?  704K.ARC won't do me
any good since I have VGA...

					\tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (08/17/89)

> From: tom@mims-iris.uucp (Tom Haapanen)
> Date: 15 Aug 89 12:53:27 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>
> A recent PC Magazine mentioned a package called
> 386-To-The-Max or
> something like that, which allows you to load your TSRs in
> high memory.
> Does anybody know anything about this package?  704K.ARC
> won't do me
> any good since I have VGA...

386Max only works with 386 (or 386SX) machines.  If you have more than 640K physical memory available (presumably extended memory although some machines have 384K of "shadow memory") 386Max will use the hardware memory mapping features of the 386 to make that memory appear between 640K and 1MB.  386Max then provides a utility program with which you can load TSR's above 640K.  I have this and it works well.  386Max also has an optional package for loading device drivers above 640K, but I don't have it and c

an't comment on it.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

stoen@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Rick Stoen) (08/20/89)

In article <873.24EBB504@busker.FIDONET.ORG> Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
>> A recent PC Magazine mentioned a package called
>> 386-To-The-Max or something like that, which allows you to
>> load your TSRs in high memory.

>[stuff about 386max loading TSR's and device drivers between 640K and 1MB]

Does anyone know which issue of PC Magazine this was in? Is this a
commercial package? shareware? public domain?  Also, will this work
with any TSR's and device drivers, or do they have to be written
specifically for this (like himem.sys)?  Sounds like a good package if
it works with anything.

---
Rick Stoen - Iowa State University
Internet: stoen@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
UUCP    : {hplabs!hp-lsd, uunet!umix!sharkey}!atanasoff!stoen

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (08/24/89)

In article <1989Aug14.083008.29461@cs.dal.ca> lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>A friend of mine has a package called 704K.ARC or some such which
>puports to give you 704K of DOS accessable RAM on a monochrome or
>CGA system by somehow making real memory appear at locations A000-AFFF
>which aren't needed unless you have a VGA/EGA.  The documentation is
>*very* vague and doesn't explain to him or me just what sort of
>physical memory situation you must have (since I assume you must
>have more than 640K *physical* RAM in your machine).  It doesn't
>really explain anything and to make a long storey short, we can't
>get the pgm working.

On old IBM PCs, not XTs, you would set switches to indicate memory size.
After replacing the ROM BIOS on my PC-1 (64k motherboard PC), I put 704K
in the PC (64K on motherboard, and 640K on an AST board), and set the
switches to 704K.  It worked just fine.  That was just normal RAM, that
responded to addresses A0000-AFFFF.  Yes, a monochrome machine.

You'll need real memory addressed at A0000-AFFFF, and a program to
initialize it, and tell the system about it, in "smarter" clones that
automatically determine memory size (up to 640K).

I kept running into that old 704K barrier when running programs! :-)

Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett

lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (08/24/89)

 From: tom@mims-iris.uucp (Tom Haapanen)
> A recent PC Magazine mentioned a package called 386-To-The-Max
> which allows you to load your TSRs in high memory. ...
> 704K.ARC won't do me any good since I have VGA...

Can someone tell me where I can get 704K.ARC and/or how it works.  A
friend of mine says he tried it and couldn't get it to work, possibly
because of unclear documentation.  Thanks.