[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pc vt100 terminal emulation and IBM mainframe's

lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) (08/19/89)

I'm running Procomm 2.1, doing vt100 emulation and trying to connect
to an IBM mainframe.  My problem is that, once connected, I'm stuck
at the MORE... prompt.  What key clears the screen?  ENTER, from the
keypad doesn't work.  Alternatively, does anyone know the escape
sequence for the VT100's keypad ENTER key?

I'm working from a remote site without _any_ documentation, which
explains, at least partially, the stupidity of the above questions.

I know, I know, why don't I have the manuals with me.  Welll....

Any help would be *MOST* appreciated.

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) (08/19/89)

In article <8647@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:

> I'm running Procomm 2.1, doing vt100 emulation and trying to connect
> to an IBM mainframe.  My problem is that, once connected, I'm stuck
> at the MORE... prompt.  What key clears the screen?  ENTER, from the

  Your major problem is connecting to the IBM mainframe in the first
  place :)

  All joking/needling aside, press <ESC>. to clear the screen. Unforunately,
  procomm's vt100 emulation isn't perfect. Then again, there's no clear
  screen key on the standard PC keyboard. BTW if you want to use the PF1-PF12
  keys, enter <ESC>1, <ESC>2, ..., <ESC>9, <ESC>0, <ESC>-, <ESC>=

--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/20/89)

%>
%
%  Your major problem is connecting to the IBM mainframe in the first
%  place :)
%
%  All joking/needling aside, press <ESC>. to clear the screen. Unforunately,
%  procomm's vt100 emulation isn't perfect.

IBM's standard 7171 definition uses keypad ENTER--ESC O M.
Your major problem is using Procomm in the first place. :(
Get Kermit 2.32/A.  Its VT102 emulation is damn near perfect.

					-=EPS=-

mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) (08/21/89)

In article <459@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <1535@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) writes:
>%In article <8647@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:
>%>
>%> I'm running Procomm 2.1, doing vt100 emulation and trying to connect
>%> to an IBM mainframe.  My problem is that, once connected, I'm stuck
>%> at the MORE... prompt.  What key clears the screen?  ENTER, from the
>%
>%  Your major problem is connecting to the IBM mainframe in the first
>%  place :)
>%
>%  All joking/needling aside, press <ESC>. to clear the screen. Unforunately,
>%  procomm's vt100 emulation isn't perfect.
>
>IBM's standard 7171 definition uses keypad ENTER--ESC O M.
>Your major problem is using Procomm in the first place. :(
>Get Kermit 2.32/A.  Its VT102 emulation is damn near perfect.
>
>					-=EPS=-

Why is VT102 emulation used to communicate with an IBM mainframe
in the first place?  VT102 is the emulation for Digital Equipment
Corporation minicomputers ... ProComm has an IBM 3101 emulation
that might result in more success!

--

Mike Tarrani
Network Analyst

wcr@branch.FIDONET.ORG (W.c. Rothanburg) (08/21/89)

In an article of <18 Aug 89 22:32:50 GMT>, lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:

 >I'm running Procomm 2.1, doing vt100 emulation and trying to connect
 >to an IBM mainframe.  My problem is that, once connected, I'm stuck
 >at the MORE... prompt.  What key clears the screen?  ENTER, from the
 >keypad doesn't work.  Alternatively, does anyone know the escape
 >sequence for the VT100's keypad ENTER key?

I don't know any of the escape sequences.  I do remember that ctrl-c will
clear the screen, some times.   Enter on the regualr keyboard will enter on
the main frame.  You might want to see if you can get the Asynch. Emulation
Adapter Guide (I think that's the name).  It comes with the 3174
controllers (Assumeing that's what you area connected trough.)

Bill

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------+
"Out on a Limb in The Branch Office...."                            ]

In article <8647@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:

>I'm running Procomm 2.1, doing vt100 emulation and trying to connect
>to an IBM mainframe.  My problem is that, once connected, I'm stuck
>at the MORE... prompt.  What key clears the screen?  ENTER, from the
>keypad doesn't work.  Alternatively, does anyone know the escape
>sequence for the VT100's keypad ENTER key?

This actually depends on the async gateway into the mainframe that
is doing the vt100 <-> 3270 mapping.  On the 3270 you would use
the <clear> key, so you need to know what your gateway maps into
<clear>.

Les Mikesell

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (08/22/89)

lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:

<I'm running Procomm 2.1, doing vt100 emulation and trying to connect
<to an IBM mainframe.  My problem is that, once connected, I'm stuck
<at the MORE... prompt.  What key clears the screen?  ENTER, from the
<keypad doesn't work.  Alternatively, does anyone know the escape
<sequence for the VT100's keypad ENTER key?

Pardon me for asking what may be a real *dumb* question...

Since when do IBM mainframess support DEC terminals? Perhaps you want
IBM 3101 or 3270?
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (08/22/89)

From article <223@crash.cts.com>, by mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani):

> Why is VT102 emulation used to communicate with an IBM mainframe
> in the first place?  VT102 is the emulation for Digital Equipment
> Corporation minicomputers ... ProComm has an IBM 3101 emulation
> that might result in more success!

Sure it might, but unfortunately it doesn't.

ProComm+ has: vt102, IBM 3101, 3270/5?? emulations.
None of those proved able to send CLEAR to mainframe.
Suggestions?

Uri.
-------------
<Disclaimer>
=======================
P.S. Be smart - flames off!

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (08/23/89)

Try using ctrl-f8 with vt100 emulation.  This works for me
on an IBM mainframe host.

In article <2504@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman2@husc8.UUCP (Bruce Waldman) writes:
>Try using ctrl-f8 with vt100 emulation.  This works for me
>on an IBM mainframe host.

Sorry, I meant try shift-f8 on Procomm to clear
screen (not ctrl-f8).  This works on version 2.3
and on version 2.4.2.  (I just discovered this by
trial and error).

witkop@kodak.UUCP (Jeff Witkop) (08/24/89)

In article <375@arnor.UUCP> uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
>From article <223@crash.cts.com>, by mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani):
>>
>> Why is VT102 emulation used to communicate with an IBM mainframe
>> in the first place?  VT102 is the emulation for Digital Equipment
>> Corporation minicomputers ... ProComm has an IBM 3101 emulation
>> that might result in more success!

I use ProComm+ with VT102 emulation to talk to the IBM mainframe environment
here at Kodak.  I believe that it is a CMS environment, but wouldn't bet on
it.  Anyway, when I get stuck with the More... message, this IBM won't budge
until it sees the equivalent of a 3270 terminal's PA2 key, which is really a
Escape followed by a period. (Note that I intend for you to hit the . key
not to actually type the word.)  Also to simulate the PA1 key, sometimes
necessary to page up or down (forgot which), hit Esc follwed by comma.

Jeff Witkop
  net:witkop@kodak.com
  (716) 477-1537

fontana@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Josep Fontana) (08/24/89)

In article <375@arnor.UUCP> uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
>ProComm+ has: vt102, IBM 3101, 3270/5?? emulations.
>None of those proved able to send CLEAR to mainframe.
>Suggestions?

  Problem is, the VT100 emulation supported by the terminal protocol
converter is slightly different from what Procomm calls VT100
emulation. You could get by using the three character sequence 'ESC O
M' to clear the screen (that's ESCape key, big O, big M) or redefine
some key to do it for you (Procomm v2.42 does not allow this; rumour
has it that Procomm+ does). You'll probably also have problems with
cursors and PF keys. What's needed are escape sequences like ESC O A,
ESC O B ... for the cursors and ESC O w, ESC O q, ...  for the PF
keys. I believe the latter are the sequences sent by a VT100 in
something called keypad *application* mode. If Procomm doesn't let you
redefine the keys to sent the appropriate sequences, your best bet is
to use Kermit v2.xx, which is available from Columbia Univ - it's a
great program, can easily redefine keys, and has built-in TEK 4010/14
graphics emulation.

Josep M.

-- Josep Maria Fontana,
   3940 Locust Walk (MLCH)
   Philadelphia, PA 19104

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/24/89)

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) <375@arnor.UUCP> :
-
-ProComm+ has: vt102, IBM 3101, 3270/5?? emulations.
-None of those proved able to send CLEAR to mainframe.

Procomm2.4.2's IBM3101 emulation supposedly has a Clear screen function
bound to the Ctrl-PgDn key.  Also in the VT-100 mode, but when connected
to a Unix/VAX, the effect is not to Clear the screen (nor is there any
reason why it should...Unix doesn't support the function this way).

There is a LOCAL clear screen function, bound to Alt-C.

disclaimer:  it's a different version of Procomm, it's not wicked IBM
mainframes, it's NOT MY G_D PLANET, MONKEY-BOY!, etc.