[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Unix Shells......

JOE@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joe Rohde) (08/23/89)

I'm new to ibm, and i'm sure this has been asked a zillion
times.........but..

Is there a good csh type shell for msdos, either as a command.com
replacement (Which would be preferred), or add on program?

I have an old program names tc-shell3.5, which is nice, but
doesnt allow command recall through arrow/emacs keys.

thanks ahead of time.  Oh yes, also, what site might i ftp
to get it. (I cant seem to connect to SIMTEL, but everything else
looks ok.)

Joe

joe@eng.ohio-state.edu

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (08/23/89)

In article <2877@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> JOE@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joe Rohde) writes:
>I'm new to ibm, and i'm sure this has been asked a zillion
>times.........but..
>
>Is there a good csh type shell for msdos, either as a command.com
>replacement (Which would be preferred), or add on program?
>
>I have an old program names tc-shell3.5, which is nice, but
>doesnt allow command recall through arrow/emacs keys.
>
>thanks ahead of time.  Oh yes, also, what site might i ftp
>to get it. (I cant seem to connect to SIMTEL, but everything else
>looks ok.)
>
>Joe
>
>joe@eng.ohio-state.edu

There are a number of programs available to do various levels of
replacement of command.com. Some of them provide little more than
just a history list or other forms of recalling previous commands.

There are also a couple of real unix or unix-like shells avaiable--
MKS  sells what is supposedly a complete Korn shell (I haven't
used it). M&T Publishing sells Allen Holub's program 'sh', which is
called "unix-like". I have been using it now for 2-3 years and find
it very useful. It provides aliases, history, a real script language
similar to (but not same as) csh, uses the proper slash (i.e., '/'
rather than '\' in pathnames (this can be configured if you insist
on using the stupid backslash), allows multiple semicolon-delimited
commands on a line, etc., etc. Best of all, they sell the shell
executable, complete with sources and a book of a couple hundred
pages for a lousy forty bucks! M&T Publishing is the publishers
of Dr. Dobbs Journal, so you can find out how to
purchase the shell (and a bunch of other stuff, too) by picking up
a recent copy of DDJ.

Fred

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/24/89)

In article <7547@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
>In article <2877@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> JOE@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joe Rohde) writes:

>>Is there a good csh type shell for msdos, either as a command.com
>>replacement (Which would be preferred), or add on program?

Some people might perceive "good csh type shell" as an oxymoron.

>There are also a couple of real unix or unix-like shells avaiable--
>MKS  sells what is supposedly a complete Korn shell (I haven't
>used it).

The MKS korn shell is as complete as such a thing can be under MSDOS.
The only thing that is missing is the & to run jobs in background.  No
shell, no matter how well implemented will make MSDOS into an
"operating system" rather than a "program loader."

The MKS Toolkit offers more value for the money than any piece of
MSDOS software I can imagine.

Disclaimer:  Just an ~~~extremely~~~ satisfied user.

krogers@esunix.UUCP (Keith Rogers) (08/25/89)

>I'm new to ibm, and i'm sure this has been asked a zillion
>times.........but..

  It has, but don't let that stop you.

>Is there a good csh type shell for msdos, either as a command.com
>replacement (Which would be preferred), or add on program?
>
>I have an old program names tc-shell3.5, which is nice, but
>doesnt allow command recall through arrow/emacs keys.
>
>joe@eng.ohio-state.edu

I just got a copy of the MKS Toolkit and I love it.  It is a very good
implementation of the korn shell.  I've run several csh scripts on it
and they do just fine.  History, aliases, etc, etc, etc.  I've forgotten
I'm running DOS even though all my DOS programs run under their shell.
I don't do much in the way of multitasking, or multiusing, so I don't
miss those unix attributes much.  You can also get help from them on
the net (an address comes with their stuff).  They're very prompt to
answer back and KNOW their stuff.

I highly recommend it.

Keith Rogers
utah-cs!esunix!krogers