[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DESKVIEW problem - need HELP

klv@briar.philips.com (Klaas Vegter;6522;4.27;0124) (08/23/89)

I have problems installing DESKVIEW 2.2 on my AT compatible.

The problem:

  When installing DV from the A: drive, the program hangs just before
  giving the message that the installation is completed. It does all
  (or most of ?) the copying of the files to the C: drive. Then it gives a
  "C-drive not ready" error. Only rebooting gives me control again.
  Running DV after rebooting, causes the machine to hang again, just
  before giving the main menu in the upper right corner.

  When running the program from the A: drive I have no problems, until I
  read something from the C: drive. Then it hangs again. In this case I
  must have booted from the A: drive. If I don't use C: in the deskview
  session I can exit without problems. However, even DOS has problems
  reading the C; drive now, and gives the mysterious error message:
  "Math Coprocessor error occour" and it hangs.

So, it looks like DV does not see my C: drive. I used the same program
files on a different machine (XT comp. with hard disk) without any
problems.

Hardware info:
  * 80286 processor, 10MHz
  * DTK BIOS (1985)
  * Seagate ST 225 hard disk
  * 1 1.2M floppy drive
  * 512k base, 512k extended memory

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? Does it sound familiar
to anyone? PLEASE HELP!

(Please reply via email), thanks in advance,

Klaas Vegter       [ klv@philabs.philips.com ]
phone: (914) 945 6522

     	___
      /     \

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/25/89)

In article <62140@philabs.Philips.Com>, klv@briar.philips.com (Klaas Vegter;6522;4.27;0124) writes:
> I have problems installing DESKVIEW 2.2 on my AT compatible.
>
> The problem:
>
>   When installing DV from the A: drive, the program hangs just before
>   giving the message that the installation is completed. It does all
>   (or most of ?) the copying of the files to the C: drive. Then it gives a
>   "C-drive not ready" error. Only rebooting gives me control again.
>   Running DV after rebooting, causes the machine to hang again, just
>   before giving the main menu in the upper right corner.
>
>   When running the program from the A: drive I have no problems, until I
>   read something from the C: drive. Then it hangs again. In this case I
>   must have booted from the A: drive. If I don't use C: in the deskview
>   session I can exit without problems. However, even DOS has problems
>   reading the C; drive now, and gives the mysterious error message:
>   "Math Coprocessor error occour" and it hangs.
>
> So, it looks like DV does not see my C: drive. I used the same program
> files on a different machine (XT comp. with hard disk) without any
> problems.
>
> Hardware info:
>   * 80286 processor, 10MHz
>   * DTK BIOS (1985)
>   * Seagate ST 225 hard disk
>   * 1 1.2M floppy drive
>   * 512k base, 512k extended memory
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? Does it sound familiar
> to anyone? PLEASE HELP!

You might need to check your hard disk first, and make sure it does
not have bad sectors which haven't been locked out.