[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telnet/FTP

armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) (08/24/89)

Is there a version of Telnet or FTP (or any other TCP/IP protocal program)
that will run directly under (and using) MS-Windows?

Ed Roskos
EROSKOS@ZODIAC.RUTGERS.EDU
(using George's account)

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (08/25/89)

In article <Aug.23.15.06.29.1989.26100@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:

>Is there a version of Telnet or FTP (or any other TCP/IP protocal program)
>that will run directly under (and using) MS-Windows?

Integrated Inference Machines has a product called X11/AT which has an
X11R3 X server, a telnet program (without emulation) and an ftp server
(not the actual ftp program, but one that allows another machine on
the network to ftp to you machine).  The X implementation is pretty good,
uses extended memory.  The number for the company is (714)978-6776.

blanier@mips.COM (Brian Lanier) (08/26/89)

In article <535@fred.UUCP> bill@fred.UUCP (Bill Poitras) writes:
>In article <Aug.23.15.06.29.1989.26100@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
>>
>>Is there a version of Telnet or FTP (or any other TCP/IP protocal program)
>>that will run directly under (and using) MS-Windows?
>>
>Integrated Inference Machines has a product called X11/AT which has an
>X11R3 X server, a telnet program (without emulation) and an ftp server

Three comments:

1)  There are other packages available to run inder windows. Unfortunately,
I can't tell you there name, because the Beta Agreement has some silly
confidentiality clause.  As soon as this is lifted ... :-)

2)  The IIM package (according to it's own documentation)
	a) will only run w/ 2meg of extended memory
	b) must be installed on C: Tough luck if you used Ontrack's DM and
	used a .8 meg partition for drive C:.  I have not tried the
	installation so I don;t know if this is a misprint or if it can be
	worked around.
	c) only supports Excelan's THE LAN WORKPLACE running on EXOS 205 series
	cards.  This is real limiting.  This may have changed, but I just got
	the manual yesterday.

3)  We have had better luck w/ standalone versions (i.e. not MS-windows
based).  If you want I can mail some names of Vendors.  I don;t know about
IIM's X implementation, but the PC side seems pretty weak.

DISCLAIMER: I SPEAK ONLY FOR ME.  THE ABOVE COMMENTS ARE MY OPINION ONLY.
NOONE ELSE CARES WHAT I HAVE TO SAY, SO WHY SHOULD YOU. :-)
Brian Lanier                           blanier@mips.com
Mips Computer Systems                  blanier@scueng.scu.edu
Sunnyvale, Ca                          (408) 991-0457