[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UUCP packages

moses@m2-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) (08/22/89)

Does anyone know of a PD UUCP package that would work on the IBM emulator
or the Atari ST itself, I would like one that can handle news as well..
I would like to know of one that can be gotten through ftp...
             cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!m-net!moses
             cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!sharkey.cc.umich.edu!spirit!wybbs!moses

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (08/23/89)

In article <3847@m2-net.UUCP>, moses@m2-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) writes:
> Does anyone know of a PD UUCP package that would work on the IBM emulator
> or the Atari ST itself, I would like one that can handle news as well..
> I would like to know of one that can be gotten through ftp...
>              cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!m-net!moses
>              cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!sharkey.cc.umich.edu!spirit!wybbs!moses

	About a month ago my local Atari store got a copy of Beckmeyer's
UUCP program fro the Atari ST. I inquired on USENET about it and it appears tobe
a very good implementation. It costs $49.95 which I feel is a reasonable price
for it. I looked at the docs, which seemed sparse but adequate. You will proabably
want to buy one the NUTSHEEL books on UUCP to really get a handle on using UUCP
and netnews.

	As far as a PD UUCP, don't hold your breath. I found one in an archive,
but it was three years old, used the old Alycon C complier, and probably doesn't
even compile. If your time is worth anything, it should be worth enough to
buy Beckmeyer's UUCP. I have heard of different other versions of UUCP, including
one written in GFA BASIC, but I haven't tried them myself.

	The NUTSHELL books are :

	"Using uucp and Usenet"

	and

	"Managing uucp and Usenet"

Both are by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. I ordered my NUTSHELL books from
B.Dalton's Bookseller. They took less then a week to arrive. Excellent books!!

P.S. NUTSHELL has a series of UNIX related books, I also bought one on MAKE.

rec

fgbrooks@crash.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (08/23/89)

In article <3847@m2-net.UUCP> moses@m2-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) writes:
>Does anyone know of a PD UUCP package that would work on the IBM emulator
>or the Atari ST itself, I would like one that can handle news as well..
>I would like to know of one that can be gotten through ftp...
>             cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!m-net!moses
>             cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!sharkey.cc.umich.edu!spirit!wybbs!moses

I use the Stadel BBS package that comes with a uucp system that will handle news
and also mail. Think it's version 3. It's a solid package.

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (08/27/89)

In article <252@crash.cts.com>, fgbrooks@crash.cts.com (Fred Brooks) writes:
> In article <3847@m2-net.UUCP> moses@m2-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) writes:
> >Does anyone know of a PD UUCP package that would work on the IBM emulator
> I use the Stadel BBS package that comes with a uucp system that will handle news
> and also mail. Think it's version 3. It's a solid package.

	So where does a person get information on the Stadel BBS package?
	Do they have a BBS up and running that I may call?  Know of
	any public BBSs using this software?  What are their numbers?

--

"I'm an anthropologist, not a computer systems architect, damit!"

jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!jdm

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129
Hodge Computer Research Corporation	FAX: (714) 921-8038
1588 North Batavia Street
Orange, California 92667  USA