[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do I connect a computer

chenn@tame.cs.umd.edu (Jenn-San Peter Chenn) (08/25/89)

How do I connect a ibmpc (xt) to Internet (TCP/IP)?
What HW/SW and procedure I take to get an proper connection?
Can I get an IP address as an individual?

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (08/25/89)

TCP/IP is a protocol.  By the internet, I assume you mean a local
area network in your office.  These can actually be mixed, for
instance TCP can connect to an X.25 PAD and go out over telephone
lines.

Anyway, I think I know what you mean.  You need an interface
card, such as a 3-Comm, for the Media Access Unit.  You can use
their SW, or there is public domain such as NCSA code.  The card
will have an internet address built in.  However, whether you
have a node tied into, say the ARPA network, is another matter.

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) (08/26/89)

In article <19248@mimsy.UUCP> chenn@tame.cs.umd.edu (Jenn-San Peter Chenn) writes:
>How do I connect a ibmpc (xt) to Internet (TCP/IP)?
>What HW/SW and procedure I take to get an proper connection?
>Can I get an IP address as an individual?

I, too, would like to know how to do this.

In article <11250092@hpldola.HP.COM> ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) writes:

   However, whether you have a node tied into, say the ARPA network,
   is another matter.

NYSERNet has a phone-in link to the Internet that gives individuals
direct access to the Internet.  The phone number is local to New York
County (Manhattan), New York.  The message posted to ny.nysernet.nysertech
is as follows:

After some number of weeks of shakedown and refinement, the Dialup Service
in NYC (pilot) is running smoothly.  If you are interested in registering
to use it, please send your email request to:

	dialup@nisc.nyser.net

Please include your USMail address so that we can send you a registration
form.  This pilot program is at no cost to the user and involves a local
phone call in Manhattan or a long distance one from other areas.

We hope this individual access to the NYSERNet network will provide even
greater opportunities for collaboration among scholars.

John Eldredge
NYSERNet, Inc.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)|