[comp.sys.ibm.pc] large capacity HD's for PS/2

aadm@ecsvax.UUCP (Atkins D. Michael) (08/15/89)

I am in need of several large (>300 as large as I can find) HDrives
for model PS/2 80's.  I have called several very large national
drive houses that I normally deal with and have received the same
response - "We don't have any!"  When asked what made them so hard
to find, the best explaination that I got was "Mr. IBM made it that
way"

  My first question is - what makes them so different from other
hard drives?

  Second question - does anyone have any leads on sources for them.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!!

A.D.(Mickey) Michael  aadm@ecsvax.bitnet

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/16/89)

>I am in need of several large (>300 as large as I can find) HDrives
>for model PS/2 80's.  I have called several very large national
>drive houses that I normally deal with and have received the same
>response - "We don't have any!"  When asked what made them so hard
>to find, the best explaination that I got was "Mr. IBM made it that
>way"

Try

Computer Expert
1501 broadway NY NY 10036
212 840 2010

They are advertising 330 megs for $2700 for the Model 80. I called
them and they claim it does work. But I never bought anything from them.

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/22/89)

>I am in need of several large (>300 as large as I can find) HDrives
>for model PS/2 80's.

I believe there is a version of the Adaptec SCSI Host adaptor
for the PS/2 (Adaptec AHA 1640).

With SCSI, you could connect >700MB 5.25" drives.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

vanden@studsys.mu.edu (vandenberg) (08/28/89)

In article <1366@ctisbv.cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>>I am in need of several large (>300 as large as I can find) HDrives
>>for model PS/2 80's.

Someone had mentioned SCSI's: along that line is the LANstor 4 external
drive subsystem.  Several of our clients are using them w/ PS/2 80s and
ATs as file servers.  The LANstor 4 will hold 4 SCSI drives(obviously
daisy-chained) w/ connections to daisy-chain LANstor 4 boxes.  If anyone
wants more info let me know.
------
Tom Vandenberg                {..uunet..uwvax!uwmcsd1..}!marque!studsys!vanden
vanden%studsys@marque.UUCP             {..uwvax..arpa..}!studsys.mu.edu!vanden
Disclaimer - No one knows what I do, not even me.       43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W