[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding 2nd Hard disk to AT clone

mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) (08/21/89)

I would like to add a second hard disk to my INTEL 301 machine.
The disk is a Maxtor XT-1140.  My machine is as follows:

Intel 301 (386 16 Mhz AT Clone)
WD1003-WA2 Disk Controller
Maxtor XT-1140 140 Meg Hard Disk.
other required peripherals
DOS and UNIX SVR3 o.s.

Are there any special considerations needed to install another
Maxtor XT-1140(other than file backup)? Do I need to change
any of the jumpers on the disk controller?

Thanks for any Help.

Sandy Mustard
SDRC
mustard@sdrc

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (08/29/89)

> From: mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard)
> Date: 20 Aug 89 22:15:09 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>

> I would like to add a second hard disk to my INTEL 301
> machine.
> The disk is a Maxtor XT-1140.  My machine is as follows:
>
> Intel 301 (386 16 Mhz AT Clone)
> WD1003-WA2 Disk Controller
> Maxtor XT-1140 140 Meg Hard Disk.
> other required peripherals
> DOS and UNIX SVR3 o.s.
>
> Are there any special considerations needed to install
> another
> Maxtor XT-1140(other than file backup)? Do I need to change
> any of the jumpers on the disk controller?
Your major problem is physical since you are trying to install two
full height devices and your cabinetry probably doesn't support that.
Assuming you are installing it as an external drive you need cabling.
The only other thing I can think of is you have to check whether your
disk cable has a twist in it or not.  If no twist, then you will have
to set the drive select on the second drive in the daisy chain to be
disk two.  If there is a twist both drives should be set to disk one.
(Some disks label the drive selects 0 and 1 instead of 1 and 2).  Also
don't forget to remove the terminating resistors from all but the last
drive in the daisy chain!

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel