[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sending email from CompuServe to the Internet

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (08/13/89)

In article <8908130008KP@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>[Give this to your friends who have CompuServe accounts.  -- Keith]
>
>Now you can send Email back and forth through CompuServe to Internet,
>Arpanet, Bitnet, and others.
>
>  - The amount of time it takes to deliver an Internet message varies
>  from a half hour to two days.  This is a function of Internet and
>  CompuServe is not responsibe for this time frame.

	Nope.  This just ain't true.  Mail between Internet sites takes
	place practically immediately.  Most mail gets delivered in a
	matter of minutes, regardless of how far apart the sites are
	physically.  If you're really impatient you can talk directly to
	the sendmail daemon on the receiving machine (if you know how
	;-).  Remember the Internet virus; it used smtp to transfer
	itself.  Perhaps you're refering to Usenet, which has uucp
	connections (intermittent and of questionable reliability) at its
	extremeties.  You can get messages to uucp sites by routing them
	through an Internet site; this situation may account for the two
	day delay mentioned above.  Another possibility is that
	CompuServe (a bunch of creaky old Dec-10s and Dec-20s - from
	their uucp info) IS responsible for the time frame :-).

--
GOAL:  To dance the light fan- |Davin Yap, Mechanical Engineering, U of Toronto
tastic in the face of derision,| yap@me.toronto.edu     yap@me.utoronto.bitnet

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (08/13/89)

[Give this to your friends who have CompuServe accounts.  -- Keith]

Now you can send Email back and forth through CompuServe to Internet,
Arpanet, Bitnet, and others.

 Internet

  Internet is an electronic mail system connecting governmental
  institutions, military branches, educational institutions, and
  commercial companies.  There is no surcharge to send or receive
  messages through Internet.  Only ASCII messages up to 50,000
  characters can be sent through this system.

  SENDING MESSAGES FROM COMPUSERVE TO INTERNET USERS

  To send a message to an Internet address you must use a special
  addressing format.  The command is:

  Send to (Name or User ID): >INTERNET:  recipient address@domain

  For example:
  Send to (Name or User ID): >INTERNET:Jdoe@abc.michigan-state.edu

  Where ">INTERNET:" is required to send your message to the Internet
  system.  "Jdoe" is the valid address used by this recipient on the
  Internet system.  The "@" tells the system that the domain address is
  following.  The "abc.michigan-state.edu" is the domain address.

  Note:

  - Domain address elements must be separated by periods and the domain
  must be separated from the recipient's address by the "@" character
  with no spaces.

  - The ">INTERNET:" is essential.  It alerts the CompuServe system
  that your message is going to a remote mail location.  Remember to
  include the ">" sign.

  - You can have a space after the ">INTERNET:" or have no space.

  - The correct valid address used by the subscriber on the Internet
  system is essential.  Without the exact address used by the
  recipient, the message will not be delivered.

  - The amount of time it takes to deliver an Internet message varies
  from a half hour to two days.  This is a function of Internet and
  CompuServe is not responsibe for this time frame.

  - Internet and non-Internet addresses may be included in the same
  SEND, separated by semi-colons.

  Undeliverable messages

  If your message is undeliverable, it usually will be returned to you
  along with the text of your message.  Whether the message is actually
  returned to you depends on the remote mail system, but you always
  will receive notification if your message cannot be delivered.

  Confirmation/Receipts

  Requests for receipts will be generated only when the message leaves
  CompuServe and is transmitted into Internet.  Receipts to indicate
  when the user actually receives the message are not available through
  Internet.

  RECEIVING MESSAGES THROUGH INTERNET

  CompuServe allows a message to be received from the Internet system
  to your mailbox.

  Format

  The Internet user needs your correct Internet address to send a
  message to your mailbox.  Your address is:

       1 - Your User ID with the comma changed to a period.
       2 - The CompuServe domain which is "compuserve.com"
       3 - The correct addressing format  to  send  the  message.   This
       format varies from one system to another.  Typically, the address
       is shown as "User ID@compuserve.com".  For example:

            12345.412@compuserve.com

  The sender should check at his/her mail location for the correct
  format.  Remember - the format may vary, but the essential elements
  of the address will stay the same.

  NOTE:

  - Your user id MUST be addressed using a period NOT a comma

  - "compuserve.com" is essential

  - Messages sent through Internet to CompuServe mailboxes include
  routing information and headers which are added to the top of the
  message before it reaches CompuServe's system.

=END=

----

If your mailer doesn't recognize the compuserve.com domain address you
can use the following path:

    7007.12345%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu
    ----------
        ^--put CIS user number here

This path should work for Usenet:

    ...!uunet!compuserve.com!7007.12345

The 7007.12345 user number is just an example.  Put the correct CIS
user number in place of it.

--

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/14/89)

In article <89Aug13.034413edt.18549@me.utoronto.ca> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:

| 	Nope.  This just ain't true.  Mail between Internet sites takes
| 	place practically immediately.  Most mail gets delivered in a
| 	matter of minutes, regardless of how far apart the sites are
| 	physically.  If you're really impatient you can talk directly to
| 	the sendmail daemon on the receiving machine (if you know how
| 	;-).

  Well... that's almost true. TCP mail requires that the sender,
receiver, and all gateways be up at once. In practice a certain amount
of internet mail gets delayed at least hours. We're in NYSERnet with
uunet and see arival times for messages from other nets (NSFnet, MILNET)
take over an hour at times. The transfer is fast, but the connection may
not take place right away.

| 	         Perhaps you're refering to Usenet, which has uucp
| 	connections (intermittent and of questionable reliability) at its
| 	extremeties.

  Dialups are obviously intermittent, but reliability is a function of
the sites through which the mail passes. We see very good reliability to
uucp sites, although it's a function of # of hops.

  Since I work on Email for the corporate gateway, I see a lot of
bounces, and I would rate bad addresses entered by the sender as the
highest cause, people changing their addresses second. uucp is slightly
less reliable than internet, but I think "questionable reliability"
gives an impression worse than the fact.

	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (08/15/89)

(Davin Yap) writes:
>In article <8908130008KP@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>>  - The amount of time it takes to deliver an Internet message varies
>>  from a half hour to two days.  This is a function of Internet and
>>  CompuServe is not responsibe for this time frame.
>
>	Nope.  This just ain't true.  Mail between Internet sites takes
>	place practically immediately.  Most mail gets delivered in a
>	matter of minutes, regardless of how far apart the sites are
>	physically.

I maintain seven mailing lists at SIMTEL20.  Delays of several days are
OFTEN seen on Internet mail due to hosts or gateways being down.  I have
several messages in the queue right now that have been waiting 4 days
for the distant host to come back on line.

Example:  I just received a message which took two days to reach
SIMTEL20 from BITNET, apparently because CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (the gateway)
was down for the whole weekend.

Many Unix hosts on the Internet will refuse SMTP (mail) connections if
the load average is too high.  This may delay delivery up to 6 or 8
hours, depending upon host load and how often the mailer retries.

Keith
--

packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,318 Knapp,,2928607) (08/15/89)

From article <10738@smoke.BRL.MIL>, by w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen):
> In article <89Aug13.034413edt.18549@me.utoronto.ca> yap@me.utoronto.ca
>
> Example:  I just received a message which took two days to reach
> SIMTEL20 from BITNET, apparently because CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (the gateway)
> was down for the whole weekend.
>
> Many Unix hosts on the Internet will refuse SMTP (mail) connections if
> the load average is too high.  This may delay delivery up to 6 or 8
> hours, depending upon host load and how often the mailer retries.
>
> Keith
> --
> Keith Petersen

	Any idea how long it takes to get a message from Australia?
I sent mail to a node in Australia on thursday (10th) is it save to
assume that it has made it there by now?

Michael Packer
USMAIL:	318 Knapp Hall, WVU, Morgantown, WV 26506
PHONE:	304 293-3607
INTERNET : packer@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,ihpn4!cadre,decvax!idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsa!packer

pete@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Pete Lyall) (08/30/89)

You *****CAN****** send mail directly from the Internet to Compuserve,
and vice versa!

To send to Compuserve:
----------------------

mail 76543.2108@compuserve.com

To send from Compuserve to the internet:

Easyplex! >INTERNET: woof@bloof.snoof.roof.com

Much more detail and info is available by going to Easyplex on
CompuServe and typing:

HELP INTERNET

Pete

--
Pete Lyall                                                   Contel Corporation
Compuserve: 76703,4230              OS9_Net: (805) 375-1401 (24hr 300/1200/2400)