[net.general] Notable Computer Networks

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (10/09/86)

is the title of an article by John S. Quarterman and Josiah C. Hoskins
in the October 1986 issue of Communications of the ACM (pp. 932-971.)

"Computer networks are becoming more numerous and more diverse.
Collectively, they constitute a worldwide metanetwork."

This is a survey of the characteristics, history and circumstances
of around two dozen major networks, including UUCP and USENET.  The
discussion on addresses, with a full page table showing "Address
Formats and Gateways" will be useful to many people.

I believe that this article is a "must" for people interested in
networks and networking.   (I noticed that the authors' addresses
given at the end of the article are U.S. Mail - *only*.  Is there
a reason? :-)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (10/13/86)

(I was going to post this to net.followup, but after spending half an
hour paging through that newsgroup I couldn't bring myself to inflict
it on others.)

In article <2112@ecsvax.UUCP> hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:
>I believe that this article is a "must" for people interested in
>networks and networking.   (I noticed that the authors' addresses
>given at the end of the article are U.S. Mail - *only*.  Is there
>a reason? :-)

CACM tradition.  I can be reached for the moment at my usual addresses,
as found in the signature below, or as
	John Quarterman
	Texas Internet Consulting
	P.O. Box 14621
	Austin, Texas 78761

(Despite what the copy editor did to the company name, I am not a
gestalt therapist.  :-)  Criticisms, corrections, and additions
gleefully filed away for future projects on the same subject.

The full reference (in refer(1) format) is:

%A John S. Quarterman
%A Josiah C. Hoskins
%T Notable Computer Networks
%J Communications of the ACM
%V 29
%N 10
%P 932-971
%D October 1986
%I Association for Computing Machinery
%C New York, New York

--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU