[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hard disk crash - help please

supple@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Murray R Supple) (08/11/89)

	Please help me if you've seen this before...

	I have a Leading Edge Model D with a 30 Mbyte MiniScribe model 3438
hard disk.  The controller is an Adaptec (I can't seen to find a nice simple
model number on the card - if you're interested, I'd be happy to supply you
with miscellaneous chips numbers, etc... via email).  I am running (repacked
by Leading Edge, but genuine) MicroSoft-DOS v3.10 with Phoenix BIOS v3.00.

	Normally, when the power comes up, my PC goes into the memory test,
and then it goes through it's equipment list check - the access light on the
floppy comes on and then the access light on the hard disk comes on.  Then
after a short pause, it looks for the boot disk in the floppy drive - if it
doesn't find it, it boots off of the hard drive.

	Since the crash, however, just a few seconds after the power comes
on (long before the memory test completes), the hard drive access light
begins to flicker and continues to flicker as long as the power is on.
During the equipment list check, the floppy access light comes on and then
(when it normally checks the hard drive) there is a long pause.  After the
pause, I get the error message:

1701

Error. Press F1 key to continue

				when I hit F1, the boot process continues
normally off of the floppy and everything works fine after that except for
the hard disk.  DOS (ostensibly because it didn't find it during the
equipment check) doesn't think I have a hard drive and treats all requests
for it as a bad drive specifier.

	There is an LED on the controller board that normally mimics the
access light on the hard drive (the light that can be seen from the outside
of the case).  During the time the DOS startup procedure is checking the
hard drive, the access light on the controller comes on and then goes out,
just as I would normally see, but the access light on the drive continues
to flicker away.

	I noticed no unusual behavior leading up to this - one night the
hard drive was working just fine, but the next night, this strange behavior
began the first time I turned the power on.  I have not been able to access
my hard drive since.

	If anyone has seen something like this before, or if anyone can
offer some generic advice, I would appreciate your input.

						thanks very much...
								Murray Supple
							supple@ecn.purdue.edu
					{gould,rutgers,intelca}!pur-ee!supple

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) (08/11/89)

From article <8908101714.AA16538@ei.ecn.purdue.edu>, by supple@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Murray R Supple):

> 	,........... just a few seconds after the power comes
> on (long before the memory test completes), the hard drive access light
> begins to flicker and continues to flicker as long as the power is on.
> During the equipment list check, the floppy access light comes on and then
> (when it normally checks the hard drive) there is a long pause.  After the
> pause, I get the error message:

I recently had a nearly identical problem with a new CDC 40meg drive in my Epson Equity II.  I could not format the drive, or access it in any way.  It just
set there with the little light blinking all the time.  I returned it to
the dealer and they were unable to do anything with it either, so they
replaced it with a new drive.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but sounds like you have a dead
drive.

 |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |
 |From the Internet: gmidkiff@dsacg1.dla.mil                             |
 |Phone: (614)-238-9643 @DLA, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Oh.   |

Nanook@tlsi.FIDONET.ORG (Keith Dickinson) (08/12/89)

In an article of <10 Aug 89 17:14:36 GMT>, supple@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Murray R Supple) writes:
 >        Please help me if you've seen this before...
 >
 >        I have a Leading Edge Model D with a 30 Mbyte MiniScribe model
 >3438 hard disk.
 >
 >   Since the crash, however, just a few seconds after the power comes
 >on (long before the memory test completes), the hard drive access light
 >begins to flicker and continues to flicker as long as the power is on.

Without knowing more specifics on the flashing code (it is a code) I can't comment on the problem.

If you wish, call me at Tri Logic Systems Inc (a hard drive repair facility) and I'll try and give you a hand with the problem. Our number is
(214) 263-0707. Ask for me.

Keith Dickinson
attctc!tlsi!nanook
(note messages to TLSI will probably bounce if not routed via attctc)

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
 * Origin: TLSI: The DFW/Usenet Gateway  (1:124/2202)
--
          __     Fidonet : 124/2202 [(214) 399-0094]
         /  \    Internet: nanook@TLSI.Fidonet.Org

dl@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (08/30/89)

I missed the original post, but!
On some drives, there are TWO lights. I had a customer with
a 40 meg Rhodime {sp} and guess what...
The other light gives an error code. When the repair staion
told me that, I told them what is was
(da di da dit, da da di dah ;-} and they told me it meant:
motor speed error.
Now if ONLY they told me that BEFORE I bought the new controller.......
Flash! Murphy gets look and feel copyright on sendmail.cf
  {gatech!} wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (305) 255-RTFM