[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Undocumented modes in DOS4.01

rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) (08/30/89)

Does anyone know what the modes 2 & 4 (in the al reg.) are for DOS
function 57H.  0 is for getting the date&time. 1 is for setting it.
DOS 4.01 seems to also use modes 2 & 4!!  It seems to be using the
unknown modes to get some information.  Perhaps it is a different format
or something???

I am personally sick and tired of IBM/Microsoft using undocumented
calls.  It makes it nearly impossible to write things like network file
systems.

While I'm at it, can someone list the differences between DOS 3.x and
DOS 4.x?  I already know about the extended open call.

Thanx VERY much in advance.

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (08/30/89)

In article <654@suntops.Tops.Sun.COM> rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) writes:
>Does anyone know what the modes 2 & 4 (in the al reg.) are for DOS
>function 57H.  0 is for getting the date&time. 1 is for setting it.
>DOS 4.01 seems to also use modes 2 & 4!!  It seems to be using the
>unknown modes to get some information.  Perhaps it is a different format
>or something???

Ah hah!  Somebody else has traced through 4's COMMAND.COM, eh?  By the
look of things, there is some sort of subtle thing using the unused
bits in the attribute byte to determine what type of file you're looking
at.  If you futz with the bits, you'll have the pleasure of seeing DOS
spit forth a "?Not an ASCII File" message (or something like that) in
response to a TYPE command.  I had traced through it at one point for
an upgrade of FLU_SHOT+:  if I can find my notes in this mess-disguised-
as-an-office, I'll post 'em.

Ross M. Greenberg
UNIX TODAY!             594 Third Avenue   New York   New York  10016
Review Editor           Voice:(212)-889-6431  BBS:(212)-889-6438
uunet!utoday!greenber   BIX: greenber  MCI: greenber   CIS: 72461,3212
  To subscribe, send mail to circ@utoday with "Subject: Request"