[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Upgrading Zenith 248 hard drive

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/30/89)

Thanks for all those who responded to my query regarding upgrade of
Zenith 248 hard disks.

> I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully installed
> a large hard drive (about 80 MB) in a Zenith 248. We currently
> have such a machine, vintage 1986 I think, with a too-small
> 40 MB HD (has no name on it but looks and sounds like a Miniscribe).
> Our computer repair people say Zeniths tend to be very finicky about
> what hardware you install in them. Thanks in advance.
>
> M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
> mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

***************************
I have installed many large drives in Zenith Z-248's.  I have even added
them as a second drive.

Most of the 248's use a DTC controller of some type.  Even with the older
versions I haven't had any problems installing drives of less than 1024
cylinders.  The only problems I have had with the older versions is that
some won't work with certain versions of netware (Novell).

Where you might have problems is with the BIOS ROM in your machine.  Look
at the ROM's on the CPU card.  The BIOS ROM's are labeled 444-423-x and
444-424-x. The -x is the important part.  ZDS is up to -10 now.  The tables
for the types of drives that the SET-UP configuration program uses are in
the ROM's.  Having up to date BIOS ROM's gives you more choices of Hard
Drives.
It also will let you more easily add 3.5" drives, and many other advatages.
Highly recommended.

I'm assuming you know how to low-level format,partition, and DOS format
the drives you install.  If you have any questions regarding that feel free
to E-Mail me as it is hard to reach me by phone.

Good luck.

--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????

***************************

From: mroth%galaxy@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (Mark A. Roth)

We installed an ST506, 120MB drive on a Z248 with no problems.  The disk
is by Newbury Data Recording Limited.  Sold to the government by Zenith
on the Air Force contract.

Mark Roth

**************************

I currently have a Z-248 that I built that is running the following
equipment;
OMTI ESDI hard drive controller
Fujitsu 2245 120 meg ESDI drive
Fujitsu 2246 170 meg ESDI drive
40 meg tape backup (Alloy)
plus extra memory cards.  Have had no problems so far.

George

---
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

**************************

I have a Z248 with an 80MB Segate st4096 installed.  You may need to update
your ROM's to use Zenith's drivers, however the ONTRACK software that came
with the drive is capable of installing the drive.  You just eat up some
memory for the driver instead of using the ROM driver.

If your DOS is not new enough, you'll have to partition the drive unless you
use the ONTRACK software.

D M Gambs, Oregon State Univerity, Corvallis, OR
gambsd@prism.cs.orst.edu

**************************

I haven't had to upgrade ours yet, but whenever I have technical questions
like this, I send email to Jeff Easton, a Zenith Data Systems engineer who
often monitors this newsgroup (easton@aucis.uucp).  He's been a great
help in the past!

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                            ** DISCLAIMER: It would
Washington Department of Fisheries              ** surprise me if the
Olympia, Washington  98504                      ** rest of the Department
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu ** agreed with any of this!

**************************

Consider yourself heard from.  I have the 6MHz equivalent of the same
machine, called the Z-241.  I am running a Seagate ST-4096 80 MB drive
and an ST-4032 (?) 30 MB drive (both full-height).  Both are working
just dandy.  The 4096 is drive type 35, I think (I'm taking that from
memory).  I'm not using any special driver s/w, though Seagate provides
a nifty driver for > 32 MB partitions, etc.  I used the standard prep,
part, etc. utilities.  Make sure you have a twisted cable.

Your repair people are superstitious.  The Zeniths have proved to be
very reliable among people I know.  I am *very* pleased with mine.
I wouldn't trade it for an IBM AT or any clone.

You may need to get a newer BIOS ROM set, if you don't have all of the
drive types in your current SETUP menu.  (Hit CTRL-ALT-INS to get to
the h/w monitor.  The ROM version will appear: something like "MFM-200
monitor, version 1.6".  Write down the version.  Then enter "setup"
to get to the setup menu.  Boy, is it nice having the diags built-in.)
I updated the ROMs to get protected-mode support.  The current version
is 2.2 or higher; it has full protected-mode support for OS/2,
UNIX/XENIX, and protected-mode DOS products like Informix.  It also
has 3.5" drive support.

New ROMs can be ordered from the factory parts center at (616) 982-3571.
Part numbers are 444-423-7 and 444-424-7;  price is $28.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.

**************************

We are using one as a Netserver with two drives one a 120MB and the other a
20MB.  We use a different controller board with the software that came with
it and everything works fine.  Another possibility that you might want to
try is updating your ROM's on the mother board.  I believe the most recent
version is 7.x.  These modify the possible parameters on the
setup from the monitor.
--
 / Jan Genemans      |   USENET:  Jan.Genemans@Dartmouth.edu             \
/  ADP               |   UUCP: ...!dartvax!mac.dartmouth.edu!Jan.Genemans \

**************************

From: wheaton!jdouglas@obdient.chi.il.us (John Douglass)

I have tried to install a Seagate 4096 80-meg hard drive on both a Zenith
200 series PC and a Zenith Workstation (386).  I got all sorts of sporadic
errors.  Zenith didn't know how to fix it, so I called Seagate.  Apparently
they've had trouble before, because they immediately knew what to do.  It
involves moving a couple of jumpers and adding an additional one.  The disk
works like a charm now.

If the jumper configurations might help you, let me know.  I can fax you a
diagram of the jumpers, or mail one to you.

**************************

From: dsachg1!zdb1526@dsac.dla.mil (Kelly Pearce)

    We currently have 2 Zenith 248's, both have 2 ea. 120 meg Newbury
ZD-1200 hard drives installed in them running DOS 3.1.  The drives came with
DISK MANAGER v3.30 installation software and drivers from ONTRACK Computer
Systems Inc.  The 1st disk in each machine is has a small DOS bootable
partition (about 1 meg, DRIVE C:), the rest of the disk (DRIVE E:) is
one partition (about 18 meg).  The second disk (DRIVE F:) is one complete
partition (about 19.5 meg).  I don't know why it skips DRIVE D: so don't ask.

    We originally purchased these for a LAN Server running Venix.  This
was successfull but to slow and small to meet our needs so we converted them
to DOS machines.

    The DISK MANAGER software works real well and allows for varying
partition allocations, as desired.  These have been running for about a year
now without any problems.  Very fast disk access (can't remember figures now),
but drives are noisy enough that I would not want one on my desk all day.

    We purchased these drives through the Air Force Zenith Contract which
has now expired so I don't know where they are available for purchase.  I do
seem to recall a netnews article a while back that said Newbury was pulling
out of the U.S. (NOT OUT OF BUSINESS!), they are an English company. Here is
their address:

        Newbury Data Recording Ltd.
        Hawthorne Road, Staines
        Middlesex, TW18 3BJ, England
    Telephone: (0784) 61500
    TELEX: 8951969
    FAX: (0784) 61071

        Newbury Data Inc.
        6 New England Executive Pard, Suite 400
        Burlington, Mass. 01803
    Telephone: (617)273-2161

    Oh, these are INTERNAL full height drives.  Hope this helps some.