[comp.sys.ibm.pc] update: re: pathlength, environment space

kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) (08/19/89)

For those who are still battling path length and lack of environment
space, here is some usefull info.

In this months PC Magazine there is an article dealing with this
subject, exactly, page 421 of the August issue.

In it is says you can change your environment space by using the
following command in your CONFIG.SYS file..
	shell=c:\command.com /P /E:512
where COMMAND.COM is in the root directory of the c drive and 512 is the
amount of space you want reserved for your environment.

I have used it, I was given the traditional warning about envir.. space
before but not after.

The article also gives some references to look at if you are more
interested in what is going on here.

This may not be the ultimate solution, but then again.. :^).

If there is something major that I am overlooking someone in the know
can correct me.

later...
kevin

Kevin Tomasek			 		kevin@neptune.amd.com
AMD - Advanced Micro Devices,  Austin, Tx	(512)462-5381

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (08/23/89)

In article <1072@neptune.AMD.COM> kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) writes:
>For those who are still battling path length and lack of environment
>space, here is some usefull info.
>
>If there is something major that I am overlooking someone in the know
>can correct me.

Most people here seem to know about the /E: option by now, which will increase
the environment size.  However, this will still not allow a PATH of more than
about 122 characters regardless of what size environment you have.  This is
due to the PATH being set by entering a command line such as:  PATH c:\dos;...
which is limited to 127 characters max under DOS.

Even tricks such as  SET PATH=%PATH%;more;stuff...  will not work as they are
expanded inside a 127 character buffer internally.

To set a PATH longer than this, watch for the APPENV.COM utility (with source!)
soon to be posted in comp.binaries.ibm.pc (it is in the queue now).

-Mark

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/23/89)

In my original followup, I posed the question as to the validity of the
second parameter of the given SHELL parameter.  For example, to expand
environment space to 640 bytes in DOS 3.2 or 3.3, the documented
command is:

   SHELL=c:\command.com /p /e:640

whereas the original posters gave this form:
(where command.com in c:\dosdir)
   SHELL=c:\dosdir\command.com c:\dosdir /p /e:640

note the additional second parameter: the directory in which
command.com resides.

My findings:
   1) I cannot find this documented *anywhere*, even though several
      people claimed that it is "clearly documented under COMMAND".
      I checked PC DOS 3.2, PC DOS 3.3, and variants of MS DOS 3.1,
      3.2, and 3.3.  Nowhere could I find it -- not under CONFIG.SYS,
      under COMMAND, anywhere.  Checked IBM, Zenith, and Tatung manuals,
      (Zenith usually being the most thorough of the DOS manuals I see).
   2) It appears to work for any DOS 3.1+  (presumably 3.0 also?).
      I tested with variants of DOS 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.  Worked fine
      in every case (allowing for the different environment size
      notation for DOS 3.1 -- paragraphs instead of bytes).
      Every machine booted properly and left COMSPEC pointing to the
      proper file name.  This allows you to move command.com out of
      the root, where I suppose it is more easily found by worms...

Thanks for the help, everyone.  Informix database products customers:
this will be noted in the next release of the DOS Products Installation
Guide and Release Notes.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/24/89)

aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) <2183@infmx.UUCP> :
-   SHELL=c:\dosdir\command.com c:\dosdir /p /e:640
-
-note the additional second parameter: the directory in which
-command.com resides.
-
-My findings:
-   1) I cannot find this documented *anywhere*, even though several
-      people claimed that it is "clearly documented under COMMAND".
-      I checked PC DOS 3.2, PC DOS 3.3, and variants of MS DOS 3.1,
-      3.2, and 3.3.  Nowhere could I find it -- not under CONFIG.SYS,
-      under COMMAND, anywhere.  Checked IBM, Zenith, and Tatung manuals,
-      (Zenith usually being the most thorough of the DOS manuals I see).

Ahem.  From Zenith's MS-DOS Version 3.21 User's Reference, p. 3.31:

	Syntax:

	command [drive:][path][cttydev][/e:nnnnn][/p][/c string][/d]

	Comments:

        The drive:path options tell the command processor where to look
	for the COMMAND.COM file if it needs to reload the transient
	part into memory.

It doesn't really jump out at you, and it wouldn't be documented under
the config.sys section as it doesn't pertain to config.sys as such but
rather to command.com (which happens to be commonly specified in
config.sys).  But it is there.

rogers@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (08/24/89)

aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) <2183@infmx.UUCP>   writes:
>-   SHELL=c:\dosdir\command.com c:\dosdir /p /e:640

>-note the additional second parameter: the directory in which
>-command.com resides.

Question:  Can I have my command.com reloaded from RAMDRIVE?
   In other words, will
SHELL=c:\dos\command.com g:\bin\command.com /e:3072 /p

   do what I want?  Assuming G: is my ramdrive and my autoexec.bat
copies command.com to G:\bin, of course.

   I already copy the most often used commands to the ramdrive, which
is first in my path, and it gives a noticeable improvement to things
like ls and xcopy.  (DIR ? who uses DIR?)
 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
 work 612-782-7577 home 874-7737

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/25/89)

In article <24943@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
|aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) <2183@infmx.UUCP> :
|-   SHELL=c:\dosdir\command.com c:\dosdir /p /e:640
|-
|-note the additional second parameter: the directory in which
|-command.com resides.
|-My findings:
|-   1) I cannot find this documented *anywhere*, even though several
|-      under COMMAND, anywhere.  Checked IBM, Zenith, and Tatung manuals,
|-      (Zenith usually being the most thorough of the DOS manuals I see).

|Ahem.  From Zenith's MS-DOS Version 3.21 User's Reference, p. 3.31:
|	Syntax:
|	command [drive:][path][cttydev][/e:nnnnn][/p][/c string][/d]

"Ahem" back at you.  It ain't in Zenith MS-DOS 3.1 or 3.3+ manuals.
(I never received a 3.2 upgrade notice, so I never got it.)
If anybody finds this in the 3.1 or 3.3 manuals, please point it out.
I sure couldn't find it on the corresponding page in these versions.

--

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/26/89)

-|aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) <2183@infmx.UUCP> :
-|-   1) I cannot find this documented *anywhere*, even though several

-<24943@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (me):
-|Ahem.  From Zenith's MS-DOS Version 3.21 User's Reference, p. 3.31:

aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) <2208@infmx.UUCP> :
-"Ahem" back at you.  It ain't in Zenith MS-DOS 3.1 or 3.3+ manuals.

"Ahem."  :-)
I don't know about "MS-DOS 3.1" manuals; I have "MS-DOS Version 3"
manuals, but the disks give an OS that claims to be v3.1 --- and in the
manuals, volume II, p. 11.76, COMMAND is described with these same
parameters.  However, I grant that the description in v3.1 reads
differently from the v3.21 description.  (Personally, I believe that this
reflects Zenith's increasing understanding of undocumented behavior in
the OS and doc. that they received from Microscum.)

For what it's worth, the same syntax is shown, with a sketchy and
not-too-helpful description (that could be saying *anything*) in the
version 2.11 doc --- "MS-DOS Version 2", p. 11.75

disclaimer:  I haven't had this much fun since my last stare-down
contest with a kitty cat.  I'll correct any speeling errors as soon
as I look back at the keyboard....

noelroy@kean.mun.ca (Noel Roy, Economics Dept., Memorial University) (08/28/89)

In article <2208@infmx.UUCP>, aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:
> In article <24943@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
> |aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) <2183@infmx.UUCP> :
> |-   SHELL=c:\dosdir\command.com c:\dosdir /p /e:640
> |-
> |-note the additional second parameter: the directory in which
> |-command.com resides.
> |-My findings:
> |-   1) I cannot find this documented *anywhere*, even though several
> |-      under COMMAND, anywhere.  Checked IBM, Zenith, and Tatung manuals,
> |-      (Zenith usually being the most thorough of the DOS manuals I see).
> |
> |Ahem.  From Zenith's MS-DOS Version 3.21 User's Reference, p. 3.31:
> |	Syntax:
> |	command [drive:][path][cttydev][/e:nnnnn][/p][/c string][/d]
>
> "Ahem" back at you.  It ain't in Zenith MS-DOS 3.1 or 3.3+ manuals.
> (I never received a 3.2 upgrade notice, so I never got it.)
> If anybody finds this in the 3.1 or 3.3 manuals, please point it out.
> I sure couldn't find it on the corresponding page in these versions.
>
> --
>     Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
>          {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!
>    --------------------------------------------       as an honest man,
>     Disclaimer:  These opinions are mine alone.       to get all I deserve
>     If I am caught or killed, the secretary           and to give all I can."
>     will disavow any knowledge of my actions.             - S. Vega

Ahem again.

Try Xenith's MS-DOS Version 3.3+ User's Guide and Command Reference,
p. 1.30.

| Dr. Noel Roy                                                          |
| Room A3048                                Phone (709) 737-8245/8      |
| Department of Economics                   FAX   (709) 737-4569        |
| Memorial University of Newfoundland                                   |
| St. John's, Newfoundland A1C 5S7 Canada                               |
| bitnet:   NOELROY@MUN                                                 |
| internet: noelroy%kean.mun.ca@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu                |
| cdnnet:   noelroy@kean.mun.cdn                                        |
| uunet:    noelroy@munucs.UUCP                                         |
|                 o                o                                    |
| icbmnet:  lat 47 34'6"N   long 52 44'8"W  alt 69m                     |
|_______________________________________________________________________|

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/30/89)

In article <13652@kean.mun.ca> noelroy@kean.mun.ca (Noel Roy, Economics Dept., Memorial University) writes:
>Ahem again.
>Try Xenith's MS-DOS Version 3.3+ User's Guide and Command Reference,
>p. 1.30.
> Dr. Noel Roy                                                          |

(aside: if you're going to flame me, at least spell the vendor right!
    p.s.:  does anybody ever call you "Dr. No" for short?  :-])

True enough, it is there.  I missed it the first time because I was
looking for two pathnames, e.g. the typical
   SHELL=[d][path]command.com [d][path] ...

but on this page, it just says
   COMMAND [d][path] ...

anyway, I will offer in my defense that the section on SHELL mentions
nothing of this.  Also, I'd still like for one of the 4 or so people
who insist that it's in the PC-DOS 3.X manuals point it out to me...

Thanks also to Tom Thackrey (amdahl!tat00) who also pointed this out to
me, without the flame.