[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WARNING: Counterfeit 3.5 HD disks!

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (08/25/89)

I just purchased and received two boxes of *bulk 3.5 hd disks*
from Lyben Computer Systems, Troy, Michigan.  At the incredibly
low price of $18.50 for 10 disks!  they look just like genuine
high density disks, with the proper hole and even the HD insignia.
But get this:  In my Megamate system drive (on an XT clone),
              8 of the disks would not format at all!
              6 of the disks would format only with many bad sectors.
                   (some of these only apparent using CHKDSK
                    FORMAT didn't detect the problems!)
              of the remaining 6, 5 immediately showed cross-linked
                files,etc., after having good files copied onto them!
Since with this MicroSolutions add-on drive, I can use ordinary
double-sided disks formatted at high-density, I see the same problems
with these supposed high-density disks as I see when I incorrectly
format low-density disks as if they were high-density.  Actually
these Lyben disks are even worse.  Only one out of 20 holds data!
By the way,using this drive, I have never had any difficulty with
true high-density disks.

My CONCLUSION>>>Lyben has somehow gotten hold of low-density media,
and inserted them in cases marked high-density.  This is truly low!!!
Any suggestions?

Bruce Waldman, bw@harvarda.bitnet
               waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (08/25/89)

One thing that needs to be remembered is that when disks are
unformatted, the only difference between DD and HD disks is the
Quality Control used.  HD disks have higher QC standards, because
there is less room for error on them.

At least, that's how it was explained to me.

Mark
--
Mark Smith     |  "Be careful when looking into the distance,       |All Rights
61 Tenafly Road|that you do not miss what is right under your nose."| Reserved

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (08/25/89)

In article <2512@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman2@husc8.UUCP (Bruce Waldman) writes:

>My CONCLUSION>>>Lyben has somehow gotten hold of low-density media,
>and inserted them in cases marked high-density.  This is truly low!!!
>Any suggestions?

Yes!

Send 'em back & demand a refund!

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (08/26/89)

In article <2512@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman2@husc8.UUCP (Bruce Waldman) writes:
>  [...story about getting bum 3.5" hd disks from Lyben computer supplies...]
>My CONCLUSION>>>Lyben has somehow gotten hold of low-density media,
>and inserted them in cases marked high-density.  This is truly low!!!
>Any suggestions?

Yes.  Call Lyben.  I've bought stuff from them for 9 years now; they're not
always the cheapest, they don't always have what I want, but they've *always*
been reliable, helpful over the phone, and willing to take bum stuff back.  I
very much doubt they've deliberately sold you bad disks.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Lyben except as a long-standing, if
infrequent, satisfied customer.

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (08/26/89)

I have sent the disks back, and I do have every reason to believe
Lyben will make good (a refund).  And perhaps they did get the
disks from an unscrupulous manufacturer.  I simply bring this
to your attention in light of the discussion about using low-density
disks in high-density drives.  Even if the disks are labelled
HD, they might not in fact be!  I wasted 3 hours of my time last
night figuring this out.

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/26/89)

In article <Aug.25.08.06.20.1989.24239@topaz.rutgers.edu>, msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>  ... , the only difference between DD and HD disks is the
> Quality Control used.  HD disks have higher QC standards, because
> there is less room for error on them.
>
> At least, that's how it was explained to me.

Sorry, I don't think this is entirely true.  I was told that they
have different coating on them.

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (08/28/89)

In article <2512@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman2@husc8.UUCP (Bruce Waldman) writes:
>I just purchased and received two boxes of *bulk 3.5 hd disks*
>from Lyben Computer Systems, Troy, Michigan.  At the incredibly
>low price of $18.50 for 10 disks!  they look just like genuine
>high density disks, with the proper hole and even the HD insignia.
[details deleted]
>My CONCLUSION>>>Lyben has somehow gotten hold of low-density media,
>and inserted them in cases marked high-density.  This is truly low!!!
>Any suggestions?

Yes, contact Lyben and tell them what happened.  Give them a chance to
make good on the mistake before you complain to the network.

Lyben Computers is located about 3 miles from my home.  I have purchased
several items from them and have had no problems.  I have been in their
store several times and they have been very helpful in answering
questions.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

saal@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (samuel.saal) (08/28/89)

In article <2519@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman2@husc8.UUCP (Bruce Waldman) writes:
->I have sent the disks back, and I do have every reason to believe
->Lyben will make good (a refund).  And perhaps they did get the
->disks from an unscrupulous manufacturer.  I simply bring this
->to your attention in light of the discussion about using low-density
->disks in high-density drives.  Even if the disks are labelled
->HD, they might not in fact be!  I wasted 3 hours of my time last
->night figuring this out.

->Bruce Waldman, bw@harvarda.bitnet
->               waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu

That's not to mention the time you spent trying to format
the suckers....
--
Sam Saal         ...!att!floyd!saal   <-- NOTE: Please use this path.
NOTE new path       Do not use the reply feature.  It doesn't know me.

jwi@lzfme.att.com (J.WINER) (08/28/89)

| Bruce Waldman writes:
| I just purchased and received two boxes of *bulk 3.5 hd disks*
| from Lyben Computer Systems, Troy, Michigan.  At the incredibly
|               8 of the disks would not format at all!
|               6 of the disks would format only with many bad sectors.
|               of the remaining 6, 5 immediately showed cross-linked
| My CONCLUSION|||Lyben has somehow gotten hold of low-density media,
| and inserted them in cases marked high-density.  This is truly low!!!
| Any suggestions?

I have had problems of 14% bad disks received from Lyben in 720K
3.5". I don't buy disks from Lyben anymore. Their prices on other
computer accessories are good, but I generally avoid them now.

Jim Winer -- Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

Upuaut:	a wolf-headed Egyptian deity | Voodoo: the art of sticking ideas
	assigned as Guidance System  |         into people and watching
	for the Barque of Ra.        |         them bleed.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (G. Wang) (08/31/89)

In article <Aug.25.08.06.20.1989.24239@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>One thing that needs to be remembered is that when disks are
>unformatted, the only difference between DD and HD disks is the
>Quality Control used.  HD disks have higher QC standards, because
>there is less room for error on them.

Just a friendly correction.... For 3.5 and 5.25 disks there *IS*
a difference in the media, at least for the brand name disks...
(Even the bulk disks from MEI that I use are different).. In general,
the media has a higher magnetic coercivity and higher recording
density....

George Wang
University of Illinois
Gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu