[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Upgrading original IBM AT hard disk

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/30/89)

Thanks to all who responded to my query about upgrading a hard disk
on the original IBM AT.

>In our lab we have one of the early 6 MHz IBM AT's. Although the
>20 Meg original HD is still working (yes it was one of those that
>was supposed to die - CMI? - I believe).  We need more disk space,
>somewhere between 40-70 MB. What do we need to do? I've heard that
>the ROM's in this machine have only a limited number of disk sizes
>and types. Should we spring for a new controller at the same time?
>Any recommendations about sturdy HD's in this range suitable for
>frequent usage? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
>mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

**************************

I would use the Seagate st296N and sto1B host adapter. It's 1/2 height
so you should have room for it and the old drive. You don't need to set
it up in Rom, and the host adapter can co-exist with your old drive/
controller. $550 or so for the Kit and you get 80 meg and 28ms access.
Bob

--
Bob Duckworth
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!gp310ad

**************************

I too have an original AT.  I have been quite satisfied with my
Seagate 251-1 since my old CMI croaked 2 years ago.  It is a
relatively fast ~28msec 42meg drive and does not require BIOS or
controller changes (comes with OnTrack partitioning software
that works just fine).

+ Ronald S. Woan                             ron@woan.austin.ibm.com   +
+ outside       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron   +

*************************

I have been using CDC 94155-86 drives in my AT-now-a-386SX machine
for quite a while. They are very well built, sturdy drives with
auto-parking heads. (AT&T used them in the non-SCSI 3B2 series)
Mine are now formatted RLL for 110 MB. MFM yields about 72MB.
The -86 model is 925 cylinders, 9 heads. There is a 94155-85 model
which is 1024 cylinders, 8 heads. This is a more common drive type
for PCs. When I used these in my AT, I used type 12 which had the
wrong number of cyls/heads, but used OnTrack Disk Manager to change
parameters and format all.
Anyway, a source of mine has had these drives on *special*. I could
sell you one for about $500. Should work fine with your current
controller. Or if you want to format RLL and get 110 MB, the RLL
controllers (16 bit) are $125-$150. BTW, the average access on the
drives mentioned above is 28 ms. I have seen some 40 MB Atasi drives
for around $200 but I think they are slower, ~45ms.?

Drop a line if you are interested or need more info.

 doc@holin.att.com (David Mundhenk)

************************

I was faced with the same problem when the 6MHz AT in my lab sent it's
CMI 20 meg to never-never land. I just bought a copy of Speed stor and
I've had combinations of 10,20,32,40,70,and 80 Meg disks installed
with no problems. I would highly recommend the speed stor program even
if you do get a drive that is BIOS supported (which aint many).

Mike Davis (davis@louie.udel.edu) (128.175.1.3)

************************

I recommend you purchase a Maxtor drive and an Adaptec 2372B RLL
controller.  The controller will allow the AT to talk to drives
independent of the limited BIOS drive-types table; and the Maxtors
are high enough quality to work with RLL regardless of whether or
not they're "qualified" as RLL or not.

Our standard configuration includes the Adaptec RLL controller and a
Maxtor XT-1085.  We even push the drive beyond it's specified 1024
cylinders to 1224 (usually) but you may not want to do that.  With
the 8 heads, 1024 cylinders, 26 sectors/track and 512 bytes/sector
you'll get almost 110 Megabytes _formatted_ capacity.

If you're looking fo a vendor I can recommend

K.I.S. Computer Center
519 Mantague Expwy.
Milpitas CA  95035
(408) 942-8088

The controller is about
$140; the drive is about $595.

From: keithe@tekgvs.labs.tek.com (Keith Ericson)

***********************

I would look at getting the fixed disk from CDC (Control Data Corporation).
It is from the Imprimis division which (I believe) was recently sold to
Seagate.  Anyway, we've had good luck with their drives (we OEM their stuff
for our products at Tektronix).

You might also look at some of the newer controllers.  The old IBM BIOS only

supported a few (14) drive types; many which are very unusual drives.  The
old IBM systems are their model 99; they also made a model 299 which ran at
6 MHz but had a newer BIOS that supported more drives.

Anyway, here we've used the Adaptec 2372 RLL controller with good success.
Western Digital was also supposed to release a new RLL controller which was
stated to be better.  I don't have any experience here, though.

For drives, you'd probably be interested in:

    1.  CDC Wren II Half height (which is 40 MEGs standard; 60 MEGs RLL).

    2.  CDC Swift 3 1/2" (which is 80 MEG standard; 120 MEGs RLL).  For the
    Swift you'll need a 3 1/2" to 5 1/4" adapter.

Adaptec and Western Digital controllers should be available from Wyle
Laboratories (who is one of their distributors).  CDC is generally available
either directly from CDC or through Almac Electronics; we buy direct.

jamesa@amadeus.LA.TEK.COM

***********************

  In my PC AT I have a Maxtor XT-1140 harddrive. This beast cranks out 112
  Meg worth of disk space. Using DOS3.3 this gives you roughly 3.5 30Meg
  drives installed. I use it as my main drive. With the size of the regular
  20Meg AT drive, it fits perfectly.

  Call or Write:

  Maxtor Corp.
  211 River Oaks Parkway
  San Jose, CA. 95134
  (408) 432-1700

  They should be able to help you out. Also, you might look into some of
  the larger Seagate drives.

George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth,
TXtexbell!letni!rwsys!trsvax!slimer

***********************

I've just replaced my old CMI disk in an original-issue AT with a
really nice Toshiba 66 MB RLL disk.  You can also use it as a 44 MB
MFM, but it's definitely worth springing the $150 (or less, perhaps)
for a new controller board.  I have a Western Digital.  A little
tricky to install, but it works fine.

One thing to watch out for, however.  I thought it was the CMI that
failed -- and it may very well have.  But the power-down problem I
was hearing on the CMI reappeared (once only, so far) with the Toshiba
about a week after I installed it.  I would definitely look into replacing
the power supply as well.  It was underpowered to begin with and after four
or five years the Wheatstone bridge components probably start to degrade
due to heat and use.

From: slimer@trsvax.UUCP

**********************

>For an old IBM AT, I am trying to locate the table which contains
>the dimensions (e.g. meg, cylinders, heads, etc.) of the 15 or
>so drives compatible with the original ROMs.

The place you want to look is the IBM Technical Reference manual for the AT.
In case you don't have one (IBM no longer publishes it since the AT is
defunct) I've included the following summary from page 1-63:

Type    Cylinder    Heads   Write Precomp   Landing Zone

 1      306         4           128         305
 2      615         4           300         615
 3      615         6           300         615
 4      940         8           512         940
 5      940         6           512         940
 6      615         4           none        615
 7      462         8           256         511
 8      733         5           none        733
 9      900         15          none        901
10      820         3           none        820
11      855         5           none        855
12      855         7           none        855
13      306         8           128         319
14      733         7           none        733
15    Extended Parameters (hex 19 and 1A)

The next table refers to the extended parameter table which is used if you
have the newer IBM BIOS

Type    Cylinder    Heads   Write Precomp   Landing Zone

16      612         4       All Cyl         663
17      977         5       300             977
18      977         7       none            977
19      1024        7       512             1023
20      733         5       300             732
21      733         7       300             732
22      733         7       300             733
23-255          RESERVED

Hope this helps.

James E. Akiyama
jamesa@amadeus.LA.TEK.COM

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (08/31/89)

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>Thanks to all who responded to my query about upgrading a hard disk
>on the original IBM AT.

(damn!  i'm sorry i missed this.  --mr)

here was one recommended solution:

>>I too have an original AT.  I have been quite satisfied with my
>>Seagate 251-1 since my old CMI croaked 2 years ago.  It is a
>>relatively fast ~28msec 42meg drive and does not require BIOS or
>>controller changes (comes with OnTrack partitioning software
>>that works just fine).
>>+ Ronald S. Woan                             ron@woan.austin.ibm.com   +
>>+ outside       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron   +

yes, that's what we did too, to our original IBM-AT when our
CMI began developing alzheimer's...  the 251-1 is a swift
drive for this "voyager (tm)" of a PC in today's world...

however, OnTrack formats this drive into two, and, as far as
my experiments go, CANNOT accept DOS 4.01 since the old BIOS
table doesn't support drives whose IDs are >15.

there *has* to be a better way around this.

of course Big Blue has abandoned support for this machine and
replacement updated ROMs are scarce as "hen's teeth."

has anyone experimented with a phoenix or award BIOS to put
into this machine to extend its drive table?  i've got DOS
4.01 ready and waiting to use that 42Mb as one drive...

(as a side note, our CMI 20Mb disk *just* departed:  it
served us amicably for almost FIVE YEARS.  this from a
drive (according to PC MAGAZINE) wouldn't last one year.
[remember the pictures of the guys in florida dumping the
drives into the ocean?!])
--
michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu