[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview + comm = happiness

john@compugen. (John Beaudin) (08/19/89)

On a 286:
I gave up on the AST advantage premium expanded memory board. I then
got an Intel Above Board Plus (2MB), disabled system memory from
256k thru 640k, set the intel board (via soft switches) to insert
itself into the 256k thru 640k conventional address space, with
all this being mappable addresses, and the rest as expanded memory.

I'm able to load the comm program 1st, and a whole bunch of other
programs next. Each of the 'other' programs are limited to <=380k
or so, but they seem to fit ok.  The comm program never swaps, and
for the most part, neither do the other programs. I was able to do a
binary file transfer while playing with a spreadsheet.

I'm happy. Thanks, to the people who responded.
--
We don' sign no stinkin dots

arnesen@aftp.UUCP (Geir Arnesen) (08/31/89)

In article <2083@compugen.> john@compugen. (John Beaudin) writes:
>On a 286:
>I gave up on the AST advantage premium expanded memory board. I then
>got an Intel Above Board Plus (2MB), disabled system memory from
>256k thru 640k, set the intel board (via soft switches) to insert
>itself into the 256k thru 640k conventional address space, with
>all this being mappable addresses, and the rest as expanded memory.
>
>I'm able to load the comm program 1st, and a whole bunch of other
>programs next. Each of the 'other' programs are limited to <=380k
>or so, but they seem to fit ok.  The comm program never swaps, and
>for the most part, neither do the other programs. I was able to do a
>binary file transfer while playing with a spreadsheet.
>
>I'm happy. Thanks, to the people who responded.
>--
>We don' sign no stinkin dots

A little tip!

I you have not already discovered it, you should increase the backfilling
from 256-640 with additional 128 kb ( 128 kb extended memory and the rest
as expanded). And with the Qext.sys loaded and the Desqview started with
Xdv.com, you will get more memory available for programs. This due to
that Desqview loads parts of it self into extended memory.

You should be able to load programs limited to apr. 450 k.

Geir A.

/*
* Geir Arnesen     -       Aftenposten
* adress: Akersgt.51, P.b. 1178, Sentrum, 0107 Oslo 1, Norway
* UUCP: ...mcvax!ndosl!aftp!arnesen
* Internet: arnesen@aftenp.uu.no
* Phone: +47-2-863232 Priv: +47-2-809133 FAX: +47-2-426325 TLX: 71230 aftp N
*/