[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Word Perfect -> LaserWriter

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/31/89)

For several weeks we used a LaserWriter II NT successfully with Word Perfect
on an IBM AT in coexistence with various applications on a Mac SE as follows:

	------------|         |-------------|       |----------|
        |  IBM AT   |-------->| Laserwriter | Apple-| Mac SE   |
        |           |  serial |   II NT     |<------|          |
        |-----------|         |-------------| Talk  |----------|

Then, after we down-loaded fonts from another IBM program (ChiWriter),
Word Perfect lost its ability to print on the Laserwriter.  ChiWriter on the
IBM and all applications we've tried on the Mac continue to work.  Turning
the LaserWriter off and on fails to restore the fonts for Word Perfect.
Selecting 'printer initialization' in Word Perfect has no effect either.
While most users are happy, the Word Perfect users are mad as hornets.

Can someone tell me why this has happened and what can be done to rectify
the program?  I would appreciate any ideas.

	beaucham@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (09/01/89)

In article <19500033@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>For several weeks we used a LaserWriter II NT successfully with Word Perfect
>on an IBM AT in coexistence with various applications on a Mac SE as follows:
>
>	------------|         |-------------|       |----------|
>        |  IBM AT   |-------->| Laserwriter | Apple-| Mac SE   |
>        |           |  serial |   II NT     |<------|          |
>        |-----------|         |-------------| Talk  |----------|
>
>Then, after we down-loaded fonts from another IBM program (ChiWriter),
>Word Perfect lost its ability to print on the Laserwriter.  ChiWriter on the
>IBM and all applications we've tried on the Mac continue to work.  Turning
>the LaserWriter off and on fails to restore the fonts for Word Perfect.
>Selecting 'printer initialization' in Word Perfect has no effect either.
>While most users are happy, the Word Perfect users are mad as hornets.
>
>Can someone tell me why this has happened and what can be done to rectify
>the program?  I would appreciate any ideas.
>
>	beaucham@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

I have no answer for the above posting, but I am extremely interested
in how the original poster can get both the serial port and the Apple
Talk port to co-exist. If you switch the LW off and on everytime
you start printing using the serial port, I can buy that.
Otherwise, I am really curious how you get it to work.

We tried to share our LaserWriter II NT with two Mac SEs as
well as a 9600 baud line from a Sun workstation (wrong group, I know,
but the point is using both LocalTalk port and serial port), but just
by flipping the DIP switches cannot get the serial port to acknowledge
PostScript nor to print again. The LW II NT seems to always give priority to
the LocalTalk port. However, flipping the DIP switches AND power
cycle the LW again can get the serial back to work, which is not
a good thing to do all the time. I later read the manual and it
said (pp. 133) "Do not connect LocalTalk if using serial port
configuration", so I gave up.

If I am really missing or misinterpreting something, would someone
on the net please fill me in or correct me? Thanks very much in
advance.

Andy Sun

University of Toronto
Department of Mechanical Engineering

Address: Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
         UUCP    : csri.toronto.edu!me.utoronto.ca!sun
         BITNET  : sun@me.utoronto.BITNET