[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is it OK to use refilled Canon SX engine printer cartridges?

dan@amperif.UUCP (Dan Mehlhorn) (08/11/89)

>From: burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton)
>
>I have a QMS 810PS, which uses the same Canon print engine as the Apple
>LaserWriter II NT and NTX and LJ II.
>
>I will need a new cartridge soon.  For about $90 I can buy a new cartridge,
>or for about half that, a reload.
>
>Does anyone with a Canon SX engine have experience with reloads?  Can you
>recommend (not recommend) a specific supplier?

I am in the recharge business, so end of warning. (I can't pass packets of
salt over the net ;->)

I would recommend any Laser Charge dealer that has been in business for
a few months, and are an "A" dealer.  The "A" dealers actually paid for
hands on experience in recharging and troubleshooting cartridges.  Use only
dealers that offer money back or satisfactory resolution of any problems.
No recharger is perfect, but the good ones do make good on mistakes.

Do not accept any cartridge that has any modifications (holes made in them).
I replace more toner reservoirs because the fast buck refillers just make a
hole and slop in some toner and tape it shut.  The toner eventually leaks
out all over the printer. :-<  These guys are CHEAP, but so is trouble.
No damage can result, IF the printer is cleaned immediately.  You may get
fuser roller scoring if too much toner builds up on the thermistor.  This
can happen when using only NEW cartridges and not changing the fuser cleaner
pad with each cartridge change or when dirty.

*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****

The Manufacturer cannot void a warranty solely for the use of a recharged
cartridge.  Just try to get a written reason for such a voiding.  It is
illegal, and won't stand up in court.  Just like putting Sears Shocks on your
car, the manufacturer cannot void the vehicle warranty because you didn't
go to his dealer and buy his shocks at HIS PRICES.

>Has anyone done their own reloads (cost only $20 or so)?

Don't do this.  The only self reload kits I've ever seen are "Drill and
Fill".  They are messy to do.  They don't clean the dust bin which causes
even bigger problems.  In all cartridges there is a rotating blade to pack
the excess toner collected from the drum away from the drum.  If the bin
gets too full, the blade stops turning.  Best scenario here: just the gears
in the cartridge get destroyed.  WORST: the motor in your printer fries!!!
Like I said before, "TROUBLE IS CHEAP"!!

>Is there any truth the the rumor that Canon has put metal filings (???)
>into the SX cartridge, to make reloads impractical?

There is no truth to this rumor.  Original Canon toner is resin coated
magnitite.  My recharge toner is resin coated carbon.  Both are abrasive,
but carbon is less so.

Any good recharger will replace Canon toner with theirs for an additional
fee over a new cartridge.  They should also treat the drum to make it
more resistant to scratches.  This is what kills cartridges.

Also leaving the cartridges exposed to sunlight, especially the drum,
will ensure a short life of a cartridge.

>Phil Burton
>Convergent Technologies
>408 435 3791

Dan Mehlhorn
LASER RECHARGE of Omaha
(402) 498-0936
--

Every child deserves a home of his own. - Harry Holt
Dan Mehlhorn    uucp: dan@amperif.uucp

I have seen toner reload companies go in and out of business very
quickly.

It's just not possible to do reliably.  Or so it seems with the
companies I have tried, and I tried several.  You get a cartridge for
half price of new, but you waste a lot of time and money tossing bad
cartridges.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473