[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Low Density Disks in High Densi

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (08/28/89)

coleman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>That doesn't explain why I am able to successfully read/write 360K diskettes
>FORMATTED WITH A 360K DRIVE in my 1.2M drive! How does the 1.2M drive know not
>to use high write current when writing data to a 360K disk?

Because on a 1.2 Meg drive the system knows when you change disks. So
one of the first things it does when askded to read or write a disk
after a change is read the boot sector. That tell what format the disk
is. So it just does the write according to what kind of disk it *knows*
is in the drive.

Remember, before you can write, you have to determine where the free
space on the disk is.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

janh@hplsla.HP.COM (Jan Hofland) (09/01/89)

With all due respect, the rotational speed of the drive doesn't
change.  The write frequency, on the other hand, is doubled so the
the number of sectors per track doubles.

Just wanted to clear it up.

Jan Hofland