[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows cannot read from A drive

tlj@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Jones) (08/24/89)

I have a 386 machine with a fixed hard disk and a 3.5 inch drive. When
I type

C> dir a:

in DOS I get a directory listing of the floppy in A. If I'm in windows
and I click on A drive then the machine crashes with a message which goes
something like:

FATAL: Internal Stack Failure, System Halted

and I have to throw the switch (Ctrl+Alt+Del is disabled).  This happens whether
or not there is a floppy to read.  I'm pretty sure it is not the windows
software because I tried loaded a copy that works perfectly on my colleagues
machine. Anyone have any ideas where I might start looking?

Ta much.

Tim Lennard-Jones, British Telecom Research Labs, Suffolk, England.
tlj@planet.bt.co.uk
"If moths like the light so much, why do they only come out at night?"

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (09/01/89)

In article <546@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk> tlj@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Jones) writes:
>If I'm in windows
>and I click on A drive then the machine crashes with a message which goes

If it's Windows/386, and you have an Award BIOS, it's probably the BIOS which
is crashing your machine. Some Award sets have a "feature" to slow down the
system clock when accessing the floppies, for "compatibility" (i.e. to boot
Lotus)  This sends Windows/386 into orbit.

If this is your situation, ask your dealer for an AMI or Phoenix BIOS ...
or a later Award set which has had NFS (No Floppy Switching) or NSS (No
Speed Switching) patched applied.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745