[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Norton Si

sv@v7fs1.UUCP (Steve Verity) (08/17/89)

	Anyone out there know just what the heck Norton's SI
measures?  The utility tells us that it is measuring performance
relitive to the PC.  Still, what does *that* mean?

_Steve
...!ames!vsi1!v7fs1!sv
sv@v7fs1.com                                    Quote ----->""

slimer@trsvax.UUCP (08/17/89)

  I believe that this means that the machine is running at a multiple of
  the speed of the base for comparison. That is to say... If an AT index is
  2.0, then it is twice as fast as the PC in the overall performance.

  This is the strategy used by many utilities that measure performance, and
  they all agree within reason. So I have always used the SI program with
  my interpretation of its meaning.

*  Thank You,                           texbell!letni!rwsys!trsvax!slimer  *
*         Bill                      "Disk BUG'S for you!" - ComputerWorld  *
*  George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth, TX. 76102  (817) 390-3562  *

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (08/17/89)

In article <478@v7fs1.UUCP>, sv@v7fs1.UUCP (Steve Verity) wrote:
}        Anyone out there know just what the heck Norton's SI
}measures?  The utility tells us that it is measuring performance
}relitive to the PC.  Still, what does *that* mean?

SI basically measures the performance of the multiply instruction....  The
numbers have meaning for comparison only when comparing systems with identical
processors, as different CPU types take different numbers of clock cycles for
multiplication, and those different clock cycles are not representative of
overall performance.  SI overstates V20/V30 performance by about 60%, and
80286 performance by about 100% (i.e. a 286 with a 10.1 rating is really about
five times as fast as a 4.77 8088 overall).
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

"Drama is life with the dull bits left out." -- Alfred Hitchcock

asrap@warwick.ac.uk (Sean Legassick) (08/18/89)

In article <478@v7fs1.UUCP> sv@v7fs1.UUCP (Steve Verity) writes:
>	Anyone out there know just what the heck Norton's SI
>measures?  The utility tells us that it is measuring performance
>relitive to the PC.  Still, what does *that* mean?

Norton SI is supposed to give you the peformance of your machine
relative to a plain vanilla IBM PC - don't see many of them now! -
as a figure, i.e. if SI returns a value of 2.0, then your machine
should be twice as fast as an IBM PC.

It does this by running benchmarks, comparing the time taken to peform
certain mundane activities with the time it takes a PC. In this age
of VGA displays and frequent hard-disk accesses, however, this
figure bears little relation to actual real-time usage, and so is
of little use.

---
SSSSSSS K  K L       Sean K Legassick
S       K K  L       Coventry
SSSSSSS KK   L       England
      S K K  L                 "I'm not expendible, I'm not stupid
SSSSSSS K  K LLLLLLL             and I'm not going!"     Avon (Blakes 7)

stephen@ziebmef.mef.org (Stephen M. Dunn) (08/26/89)

In article <224@orchid.warwick.ac.uk> asrap@warwick.ac.uk (Sean Legassick) writes:
$Norton SI is supposed to give you the peformance of your machine
$relative to a plain vanilla IBM PC - don't see many of them now! -
$as a figure, i.e. if SI returns a value of 2.0, then your machine
$should be twice as fast as an IBM PC.

$It does this by running benchmarks, comparing the time taken to peform
$certain mundane activities with the time it takes a PC. In this age
$of VGA displays and frequent hard-disk accesses, however, this
$figure bears little relation to actual real-time usage, and so is
$of little use.

   As far as the display goes, fine, but the more recent SI versions _do_
test your hard disk.  They come up with three numbers:

1.  Raw processing power relative to the XT
2.  Some measure of hard disk speed relative to the XT's 10 Mb drive (I think)
3.  Some sort of combination of the two

   Of course, there have been many complaints about the fact that Norton's
SI seems skewed in favour of 286s (and higher) due to a (perhaps) inappropriate
choice of benchmarking algorithm.  I don't know if any adjustments have been
made or not.

   And, of course, any benchmark will only be an approximation based on what
the author thinks a typical user's usage patterns will be.  If I use my
hard drive more than you do on an identical machine, we'll get different
performance levels even though SI won't find any difference because it uses
some assumed weighting in computing the overall performance score.

! Stephen M. Dunn              stephen@ziebmef.UUCP ! DISCLAIMER:  Who'd ever !
!---------------------------------------------------! claim such dumb ideas?  !
! I have become comfortably numb ...                ! I sure as heck wouldn't !

neighorn@nosun.UUCP ( SE Sun/PDX) (09/01/89)

In article <1989Aug25.162653.25755@ziebmef.mef.org> stephen@ziebmef.mef.org (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>   Of course, there have been many complaints about the fact that Norton's
>SI seems skewed in favour of 286s (and higher) due to a (perhaps) inappropriate
>choice of benchmarking algorithm.  I don't know if any adjustments have been
>made or not.

"inappropriate" is an understatement. I shudder to think how many
computer salesmen and advertisements and jokers who don't know what they
are talking about quote that good old Norton SI number.

It is just less than completely useless!

The compute performance section of SI appears to check the multiply
instruction in a loop. Now, how many programs do you know of that do
nothing but multiply integers? For such programs, the SI number is
accurate, but for anything else???

Take a 16 MHz, 1 wait state 80386 machine. It will get a SI rating of
around 17. Now go and write your own little loop/mul program, and lo
and behold, it runs approx 17 times faster as well.

The oft-flamed Dhrystone benchmark is a magnitude better than this.

Mis-information is worse than no information at all, because people who
want answers will stop looking for them when they get *something*.

>   And, of course, any benchmark will only be an approximation based on what
>the author thinks a typical user's usage patterns will be.  If I use my
>hard drive more than you do on an identical machine, we'll get different
>performance levels even though SI won't find any difference because it uses
>some assumed weighting in computing the overall performance score.

And then there are really many "types" of hard disk use. Reading/Writing
different size blocks, sequential/random, etc. Most of the cheap and
dirty disk benchmarks only scratch the surface of what is possible to
test.

Of course the only real benchmark is the application(s) you really want
to run! :-)
--
Steven C. Neighorn           !tektronix!{psu-cs,nosun,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.      "Where we DESIGN the Star Fighters that defend the

rogers@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (09/01/89)

Okay, the norton SI is bad.

How good is the landmark AT test (expressed in Mhz) that I see more and
more advertisers quoting?

BTW, I did a rough calculation (guess) and found that a 50Mhz 486 would
rate between 200 and 330 on the Norton SI. (just for fun!)
 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
 work 612-782-7577 home 874-7737

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services) (09/02/89)

In article <408@nosun.UUCP> neighorn@nosun.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn - SE Sun/PDX) writes:
>In article <1989Aug25.162653.25755@ziebmef.mef.org> stephen@ziebmef.mef.org (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>>   Of course, there have been many complaints about the fact that Norton's
>>SI seems skewed in favour of 286s (and higher) due to a (perhaps) inappropriate
>>choice of benchmarking algorithm.  I don't know if any adjustments have been
>>made or not.
>
>"inappropriate" is an understatement. I shudder to think how many
>computer salesmen and advertisements and jokers who don't know what they
>are talking about quote that good old Norton SI number.
>
>It is just less than completely useless!
[ stuff deleted ]

Tell me about it!  I have a PS/2 mod 25,  I get a rating of 1.9 unless I move
my mouse around.  When I move my mouse around while it is testing I get 1.6.

I just don't think that a true benchmark should depend on what you also
have running at the current time.  Perhaps some TSR's could change the
rating still further.  I think a true benchmark comparison should take into
account everything your system can do at once not just... how fast can it
run when these other things are running?

For example, how much faster would my system be if it didn't have to keep
track of a clock? no interrupts while testing? 100% hit rate caching? etc.

Just a thought.
....Paul F

            Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services
                        University of Waterloo
< pfratar@watshine.waterloo.edu >         < pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu >