[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Use UNIX for MSDOS development?

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (09/02/89)

alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan Rovner) writes:

>Here at Tek, we develop PC code on our Gould Unix mainframe using the Oasys
>Cross Development package.

>One thing though, it ain't cheap.  I believe the whole thing ran $30,000
>for three mainframes to run the stuff.

I do development work on a 386 PC running Interactive Unix and VP/IX.
I find this an excellent environment.  The MSC compiler is almost as
fast as under native DOS and I have the full benefit of Unix at the same
time.  For the occational program that just won't work under VP/IX, it
is trivial to simply boot the machine with a DOS floppy.  I kept a 10 mb
partition on the hard drive just for such rare instances.

This is really the best of both worlds.  I have Unix tools to use in
the development work plus the best of DOS such as codeview.  I keep
all source code under SCCS on the unix side.  You get to buy things
like MSC at PC prices instead of the rape prices for minis as quoted
above.  I don't make the mistake of trying to put more than one user
on a CPU, though.  I do permit some word processing or news reading
but in general, one developer per CPU.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You