[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Novell <===> DOS .......

cook@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (John M. Cook) (09/01/89)

     First to summarize I'm having two problems:

1) Non-Dedict File Server has problem running application programs
that run fine on workstations.  Giving File Server this Error message:
====> Invalid Command.com ... Cannot load Command, system halted.
Only when exiting the program.

2) Workstations have problem when one specific program is run from any
machine.  Workstations locks-up (even if not running a program) when
workstations are re-booted, File Server is not found, but File Server
is UP and running programs.

We found a way around problem #1.  Eventhough the system disk that
boots the Non-dedict Server places a command.com in memory and the
file server places another copy of command.com into memory, it is not
enough.  I still have to log-in and place a 3rd command.com into
memory which allows operations to run smoothly.  I have a menu program
utility that was supplied my Novell running my application programs.
When the 3rd command.com is not placed into memory, the menu program
shows that the system does try to keep itself alive.  Errors as
follows:

Invalid Command.com
Can not start command, exiting

Unable to create menu parse program
(_oserr = 8)
status of command was: -2
further program execution not possible
exiting to system

Invalid Command.com
can not load Command, system halted.

Workstations are not effected by this.  Operations continue as normal.

Problem # 2:
We have a BASIC software package causing weird crashes on the Network.
I wish we could get rid of the package but it the favorite from the 20
other packages that have been reviewed and it was used 3 yrs prior to
the network.  If any one cares it's a General Ledger program.  The
structure of the program is five chained sub-programs.  Since all
workstation lock-up at the same time when any machine(including F.S.)
is running the program, there is no way of working with the
workstations after a crash. Since the Server doesn't get effect by
this odd crash, monitoring the workstations doesn't prove helpful.
First problem there is NO ERROR Message, other than the file server
has disappeared for these workstations but continues to operate while
the workstations crash.  Second problem is the program doesn't always
crash in the same of the sub-program, but seems to crash just prior to
chaining or during the chaining.  Because of the delay on the Ethernet
exactness is hard achieve.  The sub-program does close files before
crashing so data for that workstation is safe.

I'm hoping the two problems are connected somehow because it has been
puzzling me the whole month of August and I feel I've reached a dead
end.

I don't post articles often and don't have a signature, but all needed
info should be found in this article Header.

Sorry, If this is a repost for some of you but I tryed a new distrubution.

mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (09/02/89)

In article <9499@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cook@sybil.UUCP (John M. Cook) writes:

>     First to summarize I'm having two problems:
>
>1) Non-Dedict File Server has problem running application programs
>that run fine on workstations.  Giving File Server this Error message:
>====> Invalid Command.com ... Cannot load Command, system halted.
>Only when exiting the program.

Two things to check. On the console/workstation, let DOS set the comspec.
In other words, don't use the COMSPEC=S2:COMMAND.COM in the user or
system login script. Keep a valid copy of command.com in the A: drive of the
file server. Secondly, DO NOT set the DOS PROMPT command at the console/work-
station. I know this is a bother, but that's what you get for using non ded-
icated with Novell Netware. What version of Netware are you running?
I would suggest, although this could be costly, buying another workstation
and attaching it to your LAN, and keep the fileserver in the CONSOLE mode.

>We have a BASIC software package causing weird crashes on the Network.
>I wish we could get rid of the package but it the favorite from the 20
>other packages that have been reviewed and it was used 3 yrs prior to

I've heard of some basic compiled applications causing problems. Generally
because they are not Netware aware products, sorry not able to offer any more
on this point.

Michael S. Richey
mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu
BITNET: mrichey@UCI   Voice: (714) 856-8374
University of California, Irvine
Network and Telecommunications Services
342 Computer Science
Irvine, CA  92717

cook@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (John M. Cook) (09/02/89)

In article <2601@orion.cf.uci.edu> mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) writes:
>In article <9499@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cook@sybil.UUCP (John M. Cook) writes:
>>1) Non-Dedict File Server has problem running application programs
>>that run fine on workstations.  Giving File Server this Error message:
>>====> Invalid Command.com ... Cannot load Command, system halted.
>>Only when exiting the program.
>
> What version of Netware are you running?

We are running Netware ELS II, which is to be Advance Netware
compatible.  Server has 3MB RAM and 80Meg Hard Drive.

Also a Phoenix BIOS was installed in a DTK motherboard on the server.
Does this say trouble to anyone?