[comp.sys.ibm.pc] st277's light

pthiesse@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Paul Thiessen) (08/31/89)

Hello!
  I have an ST277R-1 hooked up to an Adaptec 2372B controller. It works
great, except one thing... the drive's activity light is always on. Does
anyone have a similar setup and problem, or know why this occurs? Is
it something wrong with the drive or controller? Or just some weird
little harmless fluke?
  BTW, I also have an activity light on the case hooked up to the contoller
card, and that light only comes on when appropriate.
  Thanks for any info!

     - Paul

PAUL THIESSEN, Harvey Mudd College                ...!uunet!jarthur!pthiesse
pthiesse@jarthur.claremont.edu                       pthiessen@hmcvax.bitnet

Nanook@tlsi.FIDONET.ORG (Keith Dickinson) (09/03/89)

In an article of <31 Aug 89 01:54:36 GMT>, pthiesse@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Paul Thiessen) writes:
 >Hello!
 >  I have an ST277R-1 hooked up to an Adaptec 2372B controller. It works
 >great, except one thing... the drive's activity light is always on. Does
 >anyone have a similar setup and problem, or know why this occurs? Is
 >it something wrong with the drive or controller? Or just some weird
 >little harmless fluke?
 >  BTW, I also have an activity light on the case hooked up to the
 >contoller
 >card, and that light only comes on when appropriate.
 >  Thanks for any info!
 >
 >     - Paul

Most AT controllers leave the select line active after they are done accessing the disk. If you had 2 drives you would find that the controller wasn't picky about which drive it left on.

It's not gonna cause any damage.

Keith Dickinson
Former Seagate Tech

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
 * Origin: TLSI: The DFW/Usenet Gateway  (1:124/2202)
--
          __     Fidonet : 124/2202 [(214) 399-0094 PEP]
         /  \    Internet: nanook@TLSI.Fidonet.Org