[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DESQview, any opinions out there?

klee@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Kenneth Lee) (08/23/89)

I am currently considering the purchase of DESQview 2.2 or 386
depending on whether I end up buying a 286 or a 386 for my next
system.  In the August issue of BYTE, there is a two page ad for
the following Quarterdeck products:  DESQview 2.2, DESQview 386,
QEMM, DESQview API Toolkit.  Has anyone in netland used any of
these products?  If so, what do you think of the products that
you have used?  Would you use MS-Windows instead of DESQview?

+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+
| Ken Lee				| klee@cs.ubc.ca	|
| Department of Computer Science	| klee@cs.ubc.cdn	|
| University of British Columbia	| uunet!ubc-cs!klee	|
| Vancouver, BC, Canada			| (604) 228-3061	|
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (08/25/89)

I LOVE DESQview, and use it all the time.  In my support position I install
and help many people with MSWindows, and I consider it a VERY poor environment.
Yes, there are some wonderful programs that run in that environment (like
Excel), but it is still a poor environment, and a very unfriendly piece of
code.  I have never found a reason to recommend someone buying MSWindows.

DESQview has true multi-tasking (even on a 286 system with EEMS), while
MSWindows can not do it properly even in Windows/386.  DESQview cares very
little about your hardware, and is easy to modify if the need arises, while
you have to re-install MSWindows if your change your mouse or video display.
DESQview allows a DOS window to behave very much as though DESQview were
not running, while MSWindows needs to have virtually every program you
want to run in its DOS window defined in the WIN.INI file or with a .PIF
file.  DESQview does not care about things like psuedo drivers for printers,
while MSWindows MUST talk to the hardware, and even then may not work
properly.  DESQview is fast and easy in switching between programs, while
MSWindows is somewhat laborious (though almost tolerable on a fast 386).
DESQview will run most standard DOS programs (even a lot of "unfriendly"
programs like MSWindows), while MSWindows has a lot of problems running
some popular programs.  MSWindows has a slight advantage in cut and paste
between windows, but in DESQview it can be done even without a mouse.
(DESQview does not need a mouse, while MSWindows almost requires one.)

I love DESQview's macro capability; it saves a lot of time and effort.
We typically have our LAN cards defined as COM2, but MSWindows will mess
up the card (often requiring a hard reboot), even if you do not use any
program requiring access to COM2.

And I can go on, and on....

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/25/89)

In article <5190037@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
> I LOVE DESQview, and use it all the time.  In my support position I install
> and help many people with MSWindows, and I consider it a VERY poor environment.
> Yes, there are some wonderful programs that run in that environment (like
> Excel), but it is still a poor environment, and a very unfriendly piece of
> code.  I have never found a reason to recommend someone buying MSWindows.
>
> DESQview has true multi-tasking (even on a 286 system with EEMS), while
> MSWindows can not do it properly even in Windows/386.  DESQview cares very
> little about your hardware, and is easy to modify if the need arises, while
> you have to re-install MSWindows if your change your mouse or video display.
> DESQview allows a DOS window to behave very much as though DESQview were
> not running, while MSWindows needs to have virtually every program you
> want to run in its DOS window defined in the WIN.INI file or with a .PIF
> file.  DESQview does not care about things like psuedo drivers for printers,
> while MSWindows MUST talk to the hardware, and even then may not work
> properly.  DESQview is fast and easy in switching between programs, while
> MSWindows is somewhat laborious (though almost tolerable on a fast 386).
> DESQview will run most standard DOS programs (even a lot of "unfriendly"
> programs like MSWindows), while MSWindows has a lot of problems running
> some popular programs.  MSWindows has a slight advantage in cut and paste
> between windows, but in DESQview it can be done even without a mouse.
> (DESQview does not need a mouse, while MSWindows almost requires one.)
>
> I love DESQview's macro capability; it saves a lot of time and effort.
> We typically have our LAN cards defined as COM2, but MSWindows will mess
> up the card (often requiring a hard reboot), even if you do not use any
> program requiring access to COM2.
>
> And I can go on, and on....

I agree!  It works great on LAN systems.  If you don't intend to
use window applications (i.e. PageMaker, Word ... etc) very frequently,
DesqView is a good choice.

len@netsys.Netsys.COM (Len Rose) (08/25/89)

Has anyone used Starlan networking with Desqview?

Are there any problems or special considerations involved with same?
I'd like to be able to bring up the Starlan software under DESQview,
and from what i've read here in this group, it seems quite feasable.

Meanwhile, is anyone using DESQview on an AT&T 6300 Plus?

Thanks for any comments.

Len

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (08/26/89)

In article <9710@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
]I agree!  It works great on LAN systems.  If you don't intend to
]use window applications (i.e. PageMaker, Word ... etc) very frequently,
]DesqView is a good choice.

	Oh?  I run Windows/286, Excell, AMI, and many other Windows
	programs under Desqview on my 386 machine.  I get even more
	memory for windows aps then under dos, because I can move
	all my tsr's and device drivers into hi memory with loadhi.
	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (08/27/89)

From article <5190037@hplsla.HP.COM>, by davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed):

 [some text removed]

> DESQview has true multi-tasking (even on a 286 system with EEMS), while
> MSWindows can not do it properly even in Windows/386.  DESQview cares very

  I got to stick my two cents in here. For many years I tried many
different multi-tasking programs for DOS and even if some worked
well like DESQview I would eventually find some way to crash the
system. I have tried DESQview, VM386, Taskview, MSwindows, Double
DOS etc. One of the *most* important things to me is running a
multi-tasking envirnment that dosn't crash the system. Performance
and limited memory where not a concern. What I didn't like was
running some program that would lock up the system while all the
other programs where doing disk writes and than corrupting my
disk fat tables. Than after that I would have to reformat over
200meg and reinstall the software.

 The problem seems to be when running programs compiled with
MSC 286 (could be others). What happens is that one program running
in a window writes to the address space of a program running
in another window. If it writes to the execution code of the
other window it alters the the other a number of things can happen,
most of the time it locks up the system or worse writes incorrect
data to the disk (sometimes not updateing the fat tables).
This has happened to me more than once.

 I started running DOS under UNIX with a dos emulator and these problems
don't seem to occur. The multi-tasking of dos under unix seems to run
more smoothly. Slower but doing alot of disk writes dosn't bring the
system to it's knees like it does with Desqview. And you get a full
640k in the dos partition. Of coarse thier is drawbacks to this.
It is expensive and your sure to find some software it cannot
run under the emulator.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

arnesen@aftp.UUCP (Geir Arnesen) (09/01/89)

In article <4808@ubc-cs.UUCP> klee@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Kenneth Lee) writes:
>I am currently considering the purchase of DESQview 2.2 or 386
>depending on whether I end up buying a 286 or a 386 for my next
>system.  In the August issue of BYTE, there is a two page ad for
>the following Quarterdeck products:  DESQview 2.2, DESQview 386,
>QEMM, DESQview API Toolkit.  Has anyone in netland used any of
>these products?  If so, what do you think of the products that
>you have used?  Would you use MS-Windows instead of DESQview?
>
>+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+
>| Ken Lee				| klee@cs.ubc.ca	|
>| Department of Computer Science	| klee@cs.ubc.cdn	|
>| University of British Columbia	| uunet!ubc-cs!klee	|
>| Vancouver, BC, Canada			| (604) 228-3061	|
>+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+

It depends whether you want multitasking possibilites or not. With
a AT 286 you would not get multitasking with the MS-windows,- you get it
with the Desqview. The problem is the memory handling when you choose
the AT.

I run an AT286 with Desqview 2.2 and 4mB ram, used as extended. And with
an extra card (All charge card) - a MMU which is placed between the
286 processor and the processor socket. This card does the same which
is possible to do with software on a 386 (Qemm.sys and 386max). This card
handles the memory, and gives me possibilities to run programs up to
576k (in memory) in conventional memory and the same in expanded memory.

(The all charge card emulates expanded memory out of extended, and lifts
the device drivers up in an area above 640 k which is used as extended mem.)

Regards

Geir Arnesen

/*
* Geir Arnesen     -       Aftenposten
* adress: Akersgt.51, P.b. 1178, Sentrum, 0107 Oslo 1, Norway
* UUCP: ...mcvax!ndosl!aftp!arnesen
* Internet: arnesen@aftenp.uu.no
* Phone: +47-2-863232 Priv: +47-2-809133 FAX: +47-2-426325 TLX: 71230 aftp N
*/

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/04/89)

In article <519@aftp.UUCP>, arnesen@aftp.UUCP (Geir Arnesen) writes:
> I run an AT286 with Desqview 2.2 and 4mB ram, used as extended. And with
> an extra card (All charge card) - a MMU which is placed between the
> 286 processor and the processor socket. This card does the same which
> is possible to do with software on a 386 (Qemm.sys and 386max). This card
> handles the memory, and gives me possibilities to run programs up to
> 576k (in memory) in conventional memory and the same in expanded memory.
>
> (The all charge card emulates expanded memory out of extended, and lifts
> the device drivers up in an area above 640 k which is used as extended mem.)

I have an all charge card in one of my machines (Northgate 20 mhz 1 wait
state 80286 "super micro") and have had major problems with the unit
when the system was running a 2372b set at the secondary address (C800)
due to the fact that the machine was running with a VGA monitor.

The ACC worked great when the system was running with the controller
set at the primary address (CC00) when running EGA - but for some reason
the ACC didn't work well with the 2372 installed at C800.
--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA