[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Very Large Databases On A Pc

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (08/26/89)

I'm investigating building a very large database using a '386 machine
and would like to know if anyone has any experience with a 300Mb or
greater Oracle or other SQL database on a PC.  I know that one can
get large SCSI and ESDI disks for the PC, but the question remains
if the software will support them.

Thanks in advance,

Herb Lison

seal@canyon.UUCP (Antony Landsman) (08/27/89)

-> From: hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison)
-> Date: 25 Aug 89 17:18:20 GMT
-> I'm investigating building a very large database using a
-> '386 machine
-> and would like to know if anyone has any experience with a
-> 300Mb or
-> greater Oracle or other SQL database on a PC.  I know that

Try Dataflex by Data Access Co. in Miami FL.  Although I havent had persona
greater, I have had excellent performance at 100+MB and according to the
specs, there should be no problems going up to 300MB +.
--
Antony Landsman - via FidoNet node 1:104/116
UUCP: dunike!canyon!seal

wiz@tabbs.UUCP (Wiz) (09/03/89)

From article <26.24F74834@canyon.UUCP>, by seal@canyon.UUCP (Antony Landsman):
> -> From: hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison)
> -> Date: 25 Aug 89 17:18:20 GMT
> -> I'm investigating building a very large database using a
> -> '386 machine
> -> and would like to know if anyone has any experience with a
> -> 300Mb or
> -> greater Oracle or other SQL database on a PC.  I know that
>
> Try Dataflex by Data Access Co. in Miami FL.  Although I havent had persona
> greater, I have had excellent performance at 100+MB and according to the
> specs, there should be no problems going up to 300MB +.

You might also want to look at a C database engine called "ctree", by
FairCom. It is an excelent database engine, runs under 86 known operating
systems, and comes with the complete source code.
If you dont want to write your own database manager to take advantage of
ctree's speed (and BOY, is it FAST!), then you can use a program called
Pro-C (Not Pro*C - the Oracle program) to generate database applications.
I think ctree goes for about $400, but you can contact fairCom at the
address below for more info.

FairCom Corporation
4006 West Broadway
Columbia, MO 65203
Tel: (314)445-6833
Fax: (314)445-9698

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/04/89)

In article <209@tabbs.UUCP>, wiz@tabbs.UUCP (Wiz) writes:
> You might also want to look at a C database engine called "ctree", by
> FairCom. It is an excelent database engine, runs under 86 known operating
> systems, and comes with the complete source code.

Ctree might be fast for some environments - but not QNX.

I was running a Fidonet system under QNX with 80,000 records and
ctree was very slow at adding and making copies of individual
records (under QNX that is).

--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA